Sunday, May 2, 2010

I Love Canada...

...Vancouver specifically, since I have never been to Toronto or the other major cities. The wife and I were up there over the weekend and I love their passion for the Canucks. All the local bars had their doors open and you didn't have to watch the game to know what was going on. There was honestly a collective uproar after every goal. Everyone is diehard. I even saw to guys in front of me stop a moving police car to tell them the score of the game. Hockey is life. Eight pages in the local paper. One in five cars flying a flag. GO CANUCKS GO on bus billboards. Love it all and am sad that Seattle is not a hockey city. It still amazes me that cities like Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta, Miami and Columbus can have teams but there are none in the US Northwest. I know all Rangers fans love to rip on the Devils for not having a real fan base, but at least its better than Seattle. Hockey is no where to be seen and it brings a tear to my eye.

And now a few other comments from the weekend:
  • After another mental letdown seconds before the half, I think we can see what type of team the Sounders are. They are a talented bunch that don't have their heads on. We dominated the first half and I mean dominated. I can't say it enough. And yet somehow they allow the Crew to score on their one opportunity all game.
  • Loved the 4-3-3 and hope Freddie stays in the middle in the future. He looks great. I also like Ozzie out wide and was praying for this shot to hit the net
  • I think there is something up with Johan. Philly should win 2 out of 3 at home, but we had them where we wanted them and Johan gave it up. The fact that he is relying on two pitches is disheartening. Overall, we got 1 of 2 but in addition to Johan, Pelf also got shelled. These are the times when Pelf has needed a shrink in the past - hopefully the one he hired over the winter has worked his magic.
  • I know I am in no position to criticize Philly sports, but $12.25 million for Kevin Kolb?? This has to be a mistake.
  • In case you hadn't heard, the Big 10 and Pac-10 are considering adding teams which could send shockwaves through college athletics. Great 'what if' article in SI which I can't find online, so here is Stewart Mandels' FAQ's on the subject. Love to hear your thoughts (John especially) on Utah and Colorado going to the Pac-10

No comments:

Post a Comment