Friday, May 28, 2010

Nash Still the Best

I will be honest - I really have never seen Rajon Rondo play. I have no idea how good he is. So my next statement is going to be extremely biased - I still think that Steve Nash is the best point guard in the NBA. He is better than Derrick Rose. Better than Deron Williams. Better than Chris Paul. Better than all the rest.

I love everything he does on the court. Last night was an absolute treat, even if the Suns did lose. He took the game over in the fourth and led the Suns back to tie the game with little time left. He did so by not just giving his teammates open looks, but he put the game on his shoulders. Two straight times down the court in the final 2 minutes Phoenix ran the high pick and roll and both times he was able to get the mismatch against Gasol. Yet, instead of using his advantage and driving to the hole he played into Gasol's advantage and tried to shoot over him. Both times he started to drive, stepped back and drained a beautiful arching shot. He had ice in his veins.

To me, the best point guards are winners. They're not the best passers or the best shooters. They are the guys who can control the game and who can win no matter what. While Nash has never been to the NBA Finals, he has turned the Suns into perennial winners. You just know that he is going to win or at least put his team in position to win. Maybe Rondo does that - I don't know. Most of what I hear about him is that he is a match-up nightmare and that he basically runs the show in Boston even in the presence of three future hall of famers. Maybe he is a winner, I don't know. Again, I haven't seen enough of him.

But you can damn well believe that Nash is better than Williams, Paul, Rose and all the rest. Even at his old age, he is showing everyone that he is not an afterthought. Even at an old age, he deserves to be in the NBA MVP discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment