Monday, May 17, 2010

Tomorrow Night is BIG

The Draft Lottery is going down and my Nets have a 25% chance of getting the 1st overall pick in the draft. Twice before have they had that pick - in 1990 they picked big fat Derrick Coleman and in 2000 they selected Kenyon Martin. Neither pick had as much importance as this years pick which will land us PG John Wall from Kentucky. Wall is a great player, without a doubt. But the pick is more than just John Wall. It represents the possibility of LeBron selecting the Nets as his next home.

You all know that I have been saying that the Nets were a more desirable destination for The King than the Knicks. This has been going on for at least a year. During the season no one talked about them because of their 12-70 record. "LeBron doesn't want to go to a rebuilding project. He wants to go to a winner" is all that I have been hearing. I watched a lot of the Nets games this year and really they should have won at least 15 more games. It sounds funny, but they weren't as bad as their record shows. More importantly, they have something Cleveland doesn't have - a young nucleus to grow old with. The same way OKC has a young supporting cast around Durant, the Nets can offer John Wall, Terence Williams, Chris Douglas-Roberts and my favorite, Brook Lopez for The King to build around. Throw in that the Nets have the second largest cap space and signing someone like Amare or Chris Bosh is not out of the picture.

Ok, I know there are a lot of dominoes that need to fall in place. 1 - win draft lottery. 2 - convince lebron to sign. 3 - convince Amare/Bosh to sign. 4 - celebrate with the finest Russian vodka and women.

If the above does happen, how does this lineup sound? Lopez - Amare - LBJ - Williams - Wall. Oh, and I forgot to mention that with Wall in the mix, Devin Harris suddenly becomes a very valuable trade chip. I'm not smart enough to know who they could get, but I'm sure it will be nice.

I'm telling ya - Tomorrow night is the first step. It's possible we might not get The King if we get Wall. But there is no way we get The King without Wall.

[editors note: I just don't think Chicago is a good choice. Yes they have great players, but The King will need to win 7 titles to escape Jordan's shadow. I don't think any team can do that in today's NBA]

No comments:

Post a Comment