Monday, May 24, 2010

Weekend in Review

I am not going to post a Sounders review because I'm not sure what else can be said that hasn't been said already on this blog. We outshot SJ 18-3 and lost 1-0 at home. Second straight shutout loss at Qwest. We are not out of the playoff race by any means, but continuing to lose points will put us in some difficult situations.

Now on to the Mets. I noted in a recent blog that I hate the Subway Series. it's true - on the whole I find them to be excruciatingly painful because the thought of losing to the Yanks and hearing John Sterling and his stupid 'Theeeeheheh Yankees Winnnn. Theheheheeee Yankees Winnn' make me cringe. With all that said, winning 2 of 3 at home and limiting the powerful Yankees offense to 9 runs in 3 games is a something to smile about. The Mets have off today meaning that I can bask in the glory for an entire day. Then when Tuesday comes I can be reminded of the following:.
  • The Mets remain in last place, 5 games behind the Phils
  • The Mets host Philly for a 3 game series starting on Tuesday and will be starting Hisanori Takahasi, RA Dickey
  • The Mets still have to go to Yankees Stadium on my birthday weekend where you know their offense will show up. Against the Mets, A-Rod, Teixera, Cano and Jeter combined for 2 total RBI. Think about that for a second. I highly doubt that Kevin Russo (3), Francisco Cervelli (2), Brett Garnder (1), Juan Miranda (1) will be the leading RBI guys next time around
As for the NHL, I am just praying that Chicago is able to beat the Flyers. I'm not sure what will happen if I have to endure the sight of the Phillies and Flyers being champions in the same season.

As for the NBA, has this been the worst playoffs in recent history? The average NBA series, not counting the Suns-Lakers, has gone 5.4 games. If we exclude the first round, the average has been 5 games. And before last nights Lakers-Suns Game 3, 11 of the last 16 games were decided by more than 10 points. I am still a bit shocked to see that the Western Conference series were not in any ways competitive considering how tight the regular season standings were. I mean, the 1 through 8 seeds were separated by a mere 7 games in the standings, yet there were so many blowouts. To me, the take home message is that there are a lot of good teams in the West, but that certain teams know what it takes to get it done in the playoffs. We found out that for all the Denver praise, they were weak and soft. As for Dallas, the pieces are there, but they weren't a cohesive team yet. Meanwhile, LA, Phoenix and SA showed why the remain the teams to beat.

Finally, a programming note. I am hoping to write some entries on the Arena Football League, Why I'm a Soccer Snob, Erin Andrews, Offensive Native American Team Names, the Cold Weather Super Bowl and the World Cup in the next few weeks. If you have any ideas on what you'd like me to touch, on let me know. I also welcome comments and suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment