Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Weekend in Review

Three day weekends are great. Even with family obligations taking up two days, you still have an additional bonus day where you can do what you want to. For me, that meant working outside. Unfortunately for all my readers, that meant no blog posts. So here are my quick takes on the weekend that was:

  • The Mets remain the most inconsistent team in the majors. Win 5 of 6 against the Yanks and Phils. Then lose 2 of 3 from Milwaukee and give up 18 runs at San Diego last night. On of the two losses to the BrewCrew was a 8 inning gem from Johan where the bullpen gave up a walk-off home run. In 34 career games with the Mets where Johan has gone at least 7 innings and given up 2 or fewer ER, his record is 19-5 with 10 no decisions. 10 no decisions and 5 losses. Crazy.
  • I would love to be a fly on the wall at the NBA Free Agent Summit. Seriously, LeBron, D-Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare and Chris Bosh in one place talking about their future. It is crazy to think about. Two of them will probably play together and make their new team contenders. How will the other three respond knowing that the only way to play together will be to take less money or to execute a sign and trade? They say they're all friends, but I have to imagine that it's going to be an intense conversation.
  • My early predictions for where the 6 prize FA's end up? LeBron, Dirk and D-Wade stay put. Chris Bosh doesn't go to the Lakers as reported and instead goes to CLE with LeBron. Amare and Joe Johnson sign with the Knicks. Originally I thought Amare goes to the Nets, but Russian mark Cuban has me believing that he won't just spend money to spend money. he seems pretty smart and some reports are saying he will wait for 'Melo in 2011.
  • I am loving the Blackhawks right now. Please close out the Flyers. Please. I can't handle another Philly team being champion
  • The Sounders put in another dreadful performance over the weekend. I am still fuming over the non-call on Conor Casay, but the bottom line is we played poorly again. I wonder what is going on in the locker room. It has to be something because this is a really talented group who should not be losing to Colorado.
  • I am getting to the point where I'm ready for something new with this team. I want everyone to know I am in no way jumping off the bandwagon, but I think its time for both Montero and Ljungberg to go. I'm also getting tired of Tyrone. Let's see something new.
  • Everyone is saying we'll be fine once N'kufo shows up, but that is a lot of pressure to put on one player - regardless of how decorated he is.
  • Steven Strabsurg's debut is a week away. Count me as excited.
  • Somehow Bucknell missed out being the 64 seed in the NCAA baseball tournament even with a 25-33 record. They get to play South Carolina in the first game. From what I can tell they are equivalent to a #12 seed (baseball only seeds the top 8 but USC is hosting the regional). Good luck boys.
  • I didn't get to see Ubaldo Jimenez vs Tim Lincecum but am giddy with anticipation for the next go around. Two best pitchers in baseball period.
  • Another soft first half from the USA in their warm-up against Turkey. I'm not overly concerned. The most important thing is for the team to be ready on June 12, not May 30 and I have faith in Bradley to have the guys properly prepared for their games against England, Algeria and Slovenia. Being at home against Turkey doesn't quite have the same motivating factor as being in South Africa, where they had so much success last year, against the favored English.

2 comments:

  1. What's wrong with losing to Colorado, especially at altitude? Its not like you're losing to DC or Chivas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm just like you - I have high expectations of my team and think on any given day they should and can win. Of course, losing at altitude is not a terrible thing, but we have to pick up some wins on the road since our home form is dreadful.

    ReplyDelete