Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tonight's the Night...

...when LeBron announces live on ESPN that he is coming to NJ. (Or at least, that is what I am hoping.)

My buddies and I have been talking about his made for TV announcement and how it reeks of ego. I mean, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh didn't hold an hour long special to talk about their plan. Not only is LeBron talking to ESPN, but his camp set it up. Now I know that the American sports world is talking about LeBron but having his own announcement show is a little ridiculous. What is he going to do - go all high school football recruit and choose a hat?

A few of my Knicks friends are so turned off by how LeBron is handling this situation that they are actually starting to talk themselves out of LeBron. Statements like "And I'm going to say it- Lebron doesn't completely do it for me. For all the hype, he certainly seems to be missing that extra gear in clutch situations. He doesn't seem to have that killer instinct that separates guys like Kobe and Jordan from the best of the superstars out there" and "...I hate this whole thing. It seems very overdone and selfish. This guy hasn't won a ring. He should do that first before being this huge attention whore" are being thrown around in our emails.

Here's the thing - yeah, LeBron may be an attention whore right now. But I am in no way talking myself out of a LeBron era in NJ (were it to happen). Not a chance. If they go back to being a title contender, that is good enough for me. A 60-win regular season is a hell of a lot better than a 12 win season (5 times better if you do the math). And I would love to be able to watch him destroy other teams whenever he feels like it.

LeBron, if you are reading this - some Knicks fans may not want you, but Nets fans aren't that crazy. Come to NJ. Drink White Russians with Prokhorov. Be seen with Jay-Z and Beyonce at every major social event. Turn this franchise into a winner again.

No comments:

Post a Comment