Monday, August 16, 2010

Instant (Over)Reaction: Chivas

According to popular rule, settling for a tie on the road is a good result. Most of the time I hold this as being true. Saturday night however, was not one of those times. A tie against Chivas is better than a loss, no doubt, but when you are playing the last place team you need a win. Simple as that. Add in the fact that all the teams chasing the Sounders in the playoff race have played less games and every point from here on out becomes crucial. Continue to win and determine your own fate. Give away points and hope for some help.

Not scoring against Chivas is frustrating and something I hope comes to an end when they travel north at the end of the season. Here are some comments on an overall boring game.
  • Alonso's shot was a thing of beauty and I'm not sure how Zach Thornton was able to get a finger on it. When you look at Thornton you assume he is not very athletic, yet he continues to defy the critics (and his weight) to be a solid MLS keeper. He stillhas not conceded a goal in 4 games against Seattle - I can't wait for him to retire.
  • Fredy got absolutely hammered by Thornton but was able to get up and walk away. The knock obviously affected his play, but I am pleased with the amount of toughness he showed.
  • Jeff Parke and Patrick Ianni continue to play amazingly in the back. If you had told me that we would be without both our starting central defenders I would have been ready to throw in the towel. After two months together, I don't think their is any argument that they deserve to start. Hanauer will have some tough decisions to make when it comes to who is protected in the Expansion drafts since it is assumed that Hurtado will be recovered from his knee injury before next season. Either way, we have some depth and that will help offset the loss of any of these guys.
  • At the 27 minute mark, J-Will says that Ianni reminds him of that 'midget French actor', who turns out to be Dominque Pinon. I think he might be on to something.
  • Seeing Leo get the red card was frustrating because he obviously got the worst of the foul. However, when you watch the slow mow replay, you see his hand hit Trujillo on the head first. It wasn't deliberate, but MLS is trying to be consistent with all head contact. I am sad that he won't be in the next MLS game, but that just means that he can go the full 90 against both Monterrey and Marathon. He has 60 caps for the Costa Rican national team which means he won't be nervous playing in Mexico.
  • We are all still waiting for the savior to score his first goal. Maybe its just me, but his play seems to have regressed a bit over the past few games. I am still not worried with the long term prognosis since talent always wins out, but hopefully he is able to turn it on sooner rather than later.
  • I have been an MLS guy since Giovanni Savarese, Tony Meola, Antony de Avila and Tab Ramos played for the 1996 NY/NJ MetroStars, but having the EPL back on my tv screen Saturday morning's really accentuates how far the league has to grow.

3 comments:

  1. The referees continue to amaze me in the MLS. And by amaze, I mean make me scratch my head how any of them make it onto a professional officiating roster. Issue 1 - Thornton/Montero collision caused SEVEN minutes of a delay in the game, and only THREE were added on at the end of the first half. How no-one missed that is beyond me, but what is more shocking is that the ref doesn't seem to know what time it is. Issue 2 - the double red card. Since Chivas decided to make it a handbags affair after Leo got smacked (which in all fairness he went down clutching his face like the second gunman on the grassy knoll had got him), the ref lost control and the mental strength to act appropriately. The correct decision was Red for Chivas player, Yellow for Leo (for both fouling and overreacting), but to save face with the home team he did the weasel play of sending them both off and kill the game off as a bore-draw.

    You are right the MLS needs to grow to start catching up to the power house leagues but I dont think its fair to compare it to the Premier League. I think the Dutch/French/Portugese leagues are better examples to model after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, when we were watching the game my buddy J-Will was screaming about the 3 minutes of added time. I mean, ridiculous. Also, at what point does Thornton have to leave the field? I know he is the goalie, but if a field player loses a contact lens he probably is told to step off the field to get it fixed.

    In no way am I comparing MLS to EPL and saying that we need to get to the level of the EPL. Getting to the level of the Eredivisie would be a nice goal. My point is that the difference in leagues is more apparent when EPL is in season rather than in June when only MLS is playing.

    Oh, and no way the head ref wasn't influenced on the double redby the 4th ref, Salazar, who we all know hates us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was yelling at the TV about 3 minutes of added time. I have no idea what the referee review process is, but if one can lose their job for wearing the wrong hat to a press conference, then someone should at least make that guy serve as the 4th official for the next couple games. It is not that hard. Stop your watch when the soccer stops. Start it when the soccer starts. If you get confused there are multiple clocks around the stadium.

    -JWill

    ReplyDelete