Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Trade Santana?

Two days ago I wrote that I was ok with the Mets standing their ground at the trade deadline. I talked about the long-term blocks that they have and how it was wise not to trade Ike, Niese, Mejia or Tejada.

A week ago, I suggested to the Mariners' front office that they beginning the rebuilding process by trading Ichiro. It was blasphemous, I know. But it was objective and had the best intentions in mind.

Fast forward to tonight and another game started by Johan Santana in which the offense scored less than 3 runs. The stats are damning. In 2-plus years with the Mets, Santana has started 82 games and has amassed a 37-21 record with a 2.90 ERA. Of those 82 starts, the Mets have scored 3 or less runs 37 times. Santana is 8-20 in those games with a 2.66 ERA.

I'm not even going to mention all the wins that the Mets bullpen has cost them over the years. The point is - I think Santana is wasting away on the Mets. He was on pace for 250+ wins, but if he stays with the Mets any longer, he'll be lucky to get over 200.

I think its time for me to ask the question - is it best for both Santana and the Mets if we trade him now? I'd love to hear from all my Mets buddies out there. Think about it - Santana is 31 and could fetch a pretty penny in return. I'm not saying that we need to get tons of prospects, but I bet we could get a quality young starter and a prospect or two. There is a precedent out their - look at the ransoms that Clif Lee and Roy Halladay got. You're telling me that someone like St. Louis, Cincy, Anaheim or the Red Sox wouldn't love to take him off our hands. I know he seems to be losing a little, but even on bad days, he can still be dominant.

So what do you think? Should we even entertain the idea of trading Santana? Is that throwing in the towel or a potentially smart idea?

3 comments:

  1. I personally think Santana has slipped a bit. His ERA is a bit deceiving because he is pitching in the NL, in a pitcher-friendly park. He does not have the same stuff as he did when he signed his current contract, which I'm sure is a red flag for anyone looking to get in bed with the guy long term.

    In other words, he's not Halladay and he's not Lee. He's a level below them at this point, yet he's got a similar contract.

    The other thing that you have to look at is where it would leave the Mets. Do they have a #1 or #2 type starter that they can replace Santana with? I don't see anyone on the 40 man roster that can do that right now. With that said, do you think this beaten down fan base would accept a rebuilding team for the next 3 years? If Citifield is empty the next several years, imagine how that affects an already shaky financial situation for ownership...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your last part is definitely the most important part. No way the Mets fan base would be ok with a trade of Santana. However, there might be some faction that would be ok if they realized the big picture and that the Mets were actually following a plan for once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the trade of Santana would be awful for Mets fans, but it would be beneficial to the Mets long term...if they acquired some actual talent. It's not like the front office hasn't tried to put together a good team for the new ballpark. An reasonable, informed fan should be aware that they did some good work building the team, but they have faced some tough injuries (especially last year), adjustment to a new ballpark and underachievement of stars. Still, allowing the Phils to get Halliday was a critical blow to the team.

    As a Mets fan, I want them to win. I don't see it happening this year, though, and I wouldn't lose faith in the team if they traded Johan for a heap of young talent. On the other hand, I'm sure the fans as a whole would not treat the trade as anything other than "throwing in the towel." I'd rather have them do nothing, though (as they did), than trade their young talent to bolster their team now. I just don't think they have enough to overtake the Phils and Braves.

    ReplyDelete