Thursday, September 2, 2010

Instant (Over)Reaction: Chivas LA

Wednesday night was a beautiful night in Tukwila (when has that ever been said?). The weather was beautiful, our seats were great and the Sounders gave us another win. As always, I have some random thoughts about the game:
  • I haven't been to a sold out Starfire. Let me tell you - it is a lot different than it was in 2007 when there were merely 750 fans. The announced crowd was 4500, obviously a fraction of what they get at Qwest, but it felt just as loud. There is seating for roughly 2000and that meant a lot of standing room only tickets. But unlike Qwest, standing room only tickets get you no more than 10 feet away from the pitch. At times we were unable to see down the lines, but having Ozzie 5 feet from me more than made up for it.
  • After every game, The Wife and I wonder aloud why Zakuani is unable to go the full 90. He seems so effortless when he runs that there is no way he can get tired, right? I'll tell ya what - after being close enough to tackle him myself (ok, close enough to look silly) I have a new found respect for him. The guy is fast, no doubt. But the speed doesn't come without effort. The guys is sprinting. He had at least three full-on 60-yard sprints. At times it seemed like he was a puppy running after a ball. The Sounders would turn and kick it long for Steve to run onto. It was impressive.
  • I continue to be so happy for the USL Sounders when they get an opportunity to play. Zach Scott may not have seen any action last night, but Taylor Graham had a monster night. All of the publicity will go to Zakuani and Jaqua, but Taylor was a beast. It was great to see.
  • I try to stay off of the message boards, but couldn't help but read a post directed at Nkufo. It went something like this: "why is Nkufo still on the field? Jaqua had two goals last night. he should be starting. I hate to say it but our DP is a bust." The first response went something like this: "Jaqua got service, Nkufo didn't. Jaqua scored two goals, Nkufo didn't". Again, Nkufo isn't playing as we all thought he would. we all know that. But you know what helps when you are looking to score? Great service from your midfielders. Nate got that from Zakuani and Levesque all night. he took advantage. Nkufo doesn't and therefore can't take advantage.
  • Speaking of Nate, wasn't he the whipping boy last year? Oh it's fun to be a fan.
  • I never like to see opposing fans in our stadium. But I will give props to the Chivas fans who supported their team all night even when down 2. There were two drunk Sounders fans who were being stupid with them and they held back. There was some verbal jousting, but nothing physical. Good for them.
  • Sigi continues to push the buttons, but I wonder how many more games Alonso can play in before he breaks? I love Ozzie, but he isn't Superman (or is he?)
  • Two months ago, Flacco was playing in South Africa. Last night he played in front of 4500 fans at Starfire. He could feel privileged because of his status, but instead he trakcs down balls and slides to block clearing attempts. I really appreciate his work rate.
  • Finally, much love to Starfire security. They did not check a single bag ("wish we had known that because I would have brought alcohol" says the wife), which allowed the ECS to bring flares and smoke bombs to the game. Without a doubt they can be dangerous but when handled properly they can be really cool. I can't compare it to Europe, but seeing the red flares made me feel like I was in Italy.
With the win Seattle moves on to the US Open Cup Final against Columbus on October 5. Unlike last year, it will be at home. Hope to see you all there - it's not everyday you get to play for a trophy on home soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment