Saturday, October 2, 2010

Instant (Over)Reaction: Toronto FC

Here is the hidden secret of these columns: they are called Instant (Over)Reactions yet I hardly ever overreact. Allowing myself to break this for this column, let me say the following. We are going to be a handful in the playoffs. If I'm one of the top 5 teams, I would NOT want to face us. We are world beaters right now (well, except when that world is anything outside of the USA)
  • With Blaise in fine form, there offense is clicking perfectly. No longer is it just Montero and Zakuani. Now we have an added element that will be hard to contain.
  • Fredy seems to be pressing. Last week against C-bus he seemed annoyed that he wasn't the one scoring. Being in the stadium today, I couldn't see his facial expressions, so I can't predict what was going on in his head, but he needs to know that the team is SOOO much better when their is balanced scoring. Even if he is not scoring, he is still uber-important to the team as a playmaker.
  • Finally, a goal by Sanna. Props to The Wife who predicting today would be the day. I loved the celebration - you can just tell how united this team. They seem to genuinely like each other. Definitely a nice moment.
  • Alonso was just flat out winning balls again. He dominated Julian De Guzman.
  • Say what you want about DeRo, but he continues to be one of the top 5 players in the league. (an entry to follow this week on his whole check writing celebration)
  • It's not hard to forget about past performances, but I think this is the best passing I have ever seen from the team. They connected so many and just walked around Toronto.
  • Giving up 2 goals is a little concerning. No one will mention it because we were impressive, but we can't have mental breakdowns like we did on Toronto's two goals against the likes of LA, DAL, RSL, NY.
  • This will be the best MLS playoffs ever. There are5 amazingly great teams and 3 great teams. There will be no easy match-ups.
  • I mentioned to J-will that it is an amazing luxury having El Flacco coming off the bench. Nyassi tires out his mark and then Flacco takes advantage of it.
After the win, we sit in 4th in the West with a 12-9-6 record. It still amazes me to think that at one time we were 4-8-2 and I was asking them to focus solely on US Open Cup and Champions League. I'm sad that I gave up on the season, but I think I had every right to.

Speaking of the US Open Cup, Tuesday is going to be a big night. We get to defend our cup at Qwest. The atmosphere is going to be like none other.

No comments:

Post a Comment