Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Trophies Not Friendlies

The Sounders prepare to play Chivas de Guadalajara tonight in what many a loyal fans are calling a wasteful, meaningless game. For members of the Trophies Not Friendlies faction, this game represents an unnecessary burden to our team, who is already taxed from a grueling schedule of 14 games in 48 days.

Now I have written previously about my overall dislike for friendlies. Playing Barcelona and Chelsea, two of the top 5 teams in the world, in our inaugural season is one thing - they were great spectacles and at the end of the day, didn't hurt the team in terms of on-the-field performance. But once we qualified for the Champions League, the decision to host 3 more friendlies started to look silly. You can argue that the Sounders were not guaranteed a spot in the group stage of the CL and thus were not guaranteed an additional 6 games up front. I get that argument, but for a team that has set massive goals in terms of on-the-field success, it seems a little hollow to assume that a team from El Salvador would keep us out of the field.

This is meant as no knock against Celtic, Boca Juniors and Chivas, but we had three competitions to prepare for this year. Friendlies against the three were unneeded and poorly planned. I know, I know, this is a snobbish attitude from a Sounders fan. (I have asked my cousin to weigh in on this post after his May 4th rant, but have yet to hear back from him) Everyone hates us, I get it. But in terms of on-the-field performance, why schedule a match against Chivas right in the heat of the playoff race? It makes no sense.

Of course in life, most things actually do make sense. We all know why the Chivas match was scheduled - it has nothing to do with on-the-field success. Rather, it's solely about lining the pockets of the front office. Like all 4 previous friendlies, tonight's match is going to bring in a crap-ton of money. Having Chivas, the most popular Mexican club, to come to Qwest is going to be an amazing opportunity for the franchise because it allows them to make in-roads with the much sought after Mexican demographic (I hesitate to say Latino demographic because I'm not sold that Costa Ricans or Hondurans give a crap about Chivas). There are going to be a lot tickets sold and a lot of red and white in the stadium tonight.

This brings me to my intended topic. The ECS, believers in Trophies Not Friendlies, have developed a statement for tonight's game. In essence, they ask members not to go to the game as a protest against the priority given to friendlies and not trophies. They go a step further and ask that any unwanted tickets be donated to local Boys and Girls clubs and ask that if members are to sell tickets to make sure they are only sold to Sounders supporters.

I have been thinking about this for a few days now and feel a little uneasy about the whole situation. I am not a member of ECS. I am unable to go to away matches. I don't go to team meetings. That being said, I would be hard pressed to find another fan who cares more. I spend a lot of time and money supporting the team. As a season ticket holder, I buy seats for 18 home games. It is more than likely that at least one of these dates won't fit my schedule. It sucks not being able to go to games, but I know that my tickets will go to another fan, who will be able to take my place and join the community of Sounders fans in supporting the team. I can't emphasize the word 'community' enough. We really are a community. So when the ECS plans a boycott of the game, I am left not knowing who is going to be a part of the community.

I am grateful for everything the ECS does for the Sounders community. The franchise is publicly setting lofty goals and by making a statement about the importance of competitive matches, the ECS is in their own way making them stick to those goals. I applaud them for taking a stance. And I applaud the idea of donating tickets to the Boys and Girls Club. That is beautifully done. But at the end of the day, I question whether a massive boycott is the right thing to do. I fully understand that as a supporters group, they have the right to do whatever they feel is necessary. They are not run by the franchise and don't have to go to every game. But they are the backbone of the Sounders supporters. I may not be going to the game tonight, but I feel that they have more responsibility to the Sounders community to be there. My individual ticket can be replaced. Anyone in the community can tell you that they cannot be replaced, especially against a team whose own supporters can likely fill up Qwest.

Again, I support Trophies not Friendlies. I understand where both the franchise and the ECS are coming from and I hope that tonight's game will help increase the communicaton between the front office and the supporters as to what we want to see. Growing the Sounders globally is about more than just the players or the coaches or the fans or the front office. It is about all of these pieces put together. We all need to be on the same page. Hopefully after tonight we will be.

2 comments:

  1. So I have some issues here, the 'boycott' called for by the ECS is a total over-reaction and very unwarranted. Sure, having the friendlies mid-season (and before playoffs) is a total $ draw from the front office and I think theyre worthless, but a boycott is a self-indulgent, petulant move from the ECS. The club's membership structure is the already established forum if the ECS has that much beef about some friendlies, get the council involved in complaining about the need, and if that doesnt work, vote in 2012 on a GM who will listen!

    Sorry, but it seems that it was a case of Pacific NorthWest fans making a mountain out of a molehill as theres nothing else important to complain about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I agree that this seems like overkill considering that we are a successful club on the field. I can only think of the Toronto fans whose front office continues to be idiots. They stage boycotts all the time because their team is in shambles. We on the other hand are in a great situation.

    ReplyDelete