Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesday Morning Brain Dump

I can't say that there is much on my mind these days when it comes to sports. You see, tomorrow I am getting on a plane and flying back to Jersey. While it should be a great few days back in the Old Dirty, most of my brain capacity is focused on how to entertain my 1-year old on a 5 hour flight. We have some ideas,but unfortunately none of them center around watching sports in the plane like normal. With that being said, here are a few small thoughts circling in my brain.
  • The Devils stink. I expected their to be some growing pains and have not gone into full blown panic mode yet, but they need to come together and get some results. I'm not saying that they need to win 10 of 11, but they do need to play more consistently and get some points. I'm not sure whether MacLean's line juggling is a good thing or a sign of a first-year coach who is already under water.
  • I never provided a report from the Sounders game on Friday night. So here it is: We played like a confident and loose bunch in the first 60 minutes. The two goals were things of beauty and really emphasize how much Zakuani and Montero have grown over the past year. The last 30 minutes were boring and hopefully not a sign of things to come. It is up to Sigi to get the guys back up and excited for the Houston game on Saturday because they need to keep the intensity and momentum rolling for the playoffs. They cannot let up now.
  • I still hate baseball and will not talk about it until one of the following happens: the Mets pick a new GM, both the Yanks and Phils lose or the start of the 2011 season.
  • We just had a fantasy basketball draft and I am wayyyy over my head. It might be that our league has 6 teams and like 15 players on a roster, but I just can't seem to figure out who is good and who needs to be jettisoned.
  • Six Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United. I expected Ronaldo to leave Old Trafford a few years back, but this is plain shocking to me. Some have speculated that his off the field problems are the cause while others have reported that he and Ferguson had a falling out. Whatever the reason, Rooney leaving is going to cause ripple effects throughout the world of soccer. The first question is where does he go and the second is whether United can get anything comparable in return. This will be an interesting drama.
  • Along with the Sounders, I did not provide a UW review either. The reason for that is simple. I only saw two plays: the pass interference on UW in OT and the dropped pass on 4th and goal in 2OT. Needless to say, this is a big win for the Dawgs who could have rolled over after losing to ASU last week. They could have rolled over knowing that Jacquizz Rodgers would run all over them. They could have rolled over after blowing a 21-0 lead. It would have been easy. But if we are learning one thing, it's that this team doesn't like easy. They are now 3-3 (2-1 conf) and have the three Pac-10 leaders staring them in the face. I actually think they will pull out a win in one of the three, setting them up nicely for a run at a bowl game. Big ups to Jake Locker for his 5td game.
  • Finally, I am excited to watch the Sounders reserves wear the electricity kits for the last time this year as they take on Saprissa tonight in the final CCL game of the year. I've said it before - once an afterthought I now really enjoy watching the reserve team get quality minutes. Fucito/Seamon/Estrada/Boss provide a lot of youthful energy and Levesque/Scott/Graham work their asses off and provide a bridge to the past. Never a dull moment with these guys anymore.
I doubt that I will have time to blog when I'm back east, but who knows, I may get some free time. If their is anything worthy to discuss in relation to the Devils, The Crappy One will be here to provide some rants.

7 comments:

  1. 1. I dont think Rooney had a falling out with SAF, if he did, he would have gone for a ton of cash in the transfer window. Since he decided after the WC that he wanted out, Im guessing its more for personal or financial reasons (probably more likely the former given how he pulled a 'Tiger' in the last year). Whatever, even though he is our best player, no one person is bigger than the club, as Cantona/Keane/Beckham/Ronaldo before have found out.
    2. I excited for the electricity kits to have a "power cut" :P In reflection on Friday night's win, it was a solid performance, there was no need to go 100% against an inferior oppponent so Im glad we got 60 minutes of really good stuff out of them. Roll on the playoffs!
    3. What about dem Hawks???? I may still think they will frustrate me this year but I'm starting to get on the Pete Carroll train and Sunday was a welcome change to the road abjectness of the last few years. Hasselbeck still looks a little shaky but Okung looks v decent, Forsett/Lynch brought legitimacy back to the running game, Williams looks a great WR and the defence were magnificent again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike...was hoping to get your thoughts on Rooney. What are the chances he dons the powder blue for City?

    I'm not a Hawks fan. Won't claim to be one. With that being said, I'm not excited by them. Yes, they picked up a big win on the road. Yes, it will get them close to being 8-8 on the year, but they aren't a quality team...yet.

    When I think a little more about them, I'm not exactly sure whether 8 wins is necessarily a good thing. Will it provide a glimpse of hope, or will it set the expectatins higher for Carroll in his second year? Are they overachieving or do they need another high draft pick? Hard to gauge their progress when the rest of the division stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would hope he wouldnt go to City, serious hate would come from that move. I would say a move to Spain is more likely, or Chelski (damn them). I guess I dont give a crap where he goes, as long as it doesnt directly impact us (and he doesnt win anything with his new team), I care more about who will replace him. I would like to nab Diego Forlan back from Atl Madrid, or maybe Luis Fabiano, Diego Milito or even Adebeyor considering he cant get a game for City.

    I'm certainly not jumping on playoff hopes for the Hawks, but I just think the general cleanout operation of the last few months is a good thing, and the team seems to be playing for Carroll, which is something they havent done for their coach in years. 8 wins any season is a good thing, losing year after year is a malaise that the Mariners know only too well and seems to be a hard habit to kick up here where people like to moan and groan about nobody caring about us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, the One Crappy Martin...not the guy who plays for the Penguins

    ReplyDelete
  5. fortunately I'm a walker walker martin and have no idea who this crappy one is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rooney is saying that he asked the club during contract talks last week if they would continue to invest in bringing the worlds best players to United, David Gill the Chief Exec wouldnt commit and Rooney decided there and then to leave. Im sure the anti-Glazer rallies are going to get more fuel in the coming months (which isnt a bad thing considering I dont like them).

    ReplyDelete