Monday, November 1, 2010

Giants Give This Mets Fan Hope

The San Francisco Giants just one the World Series and as I watched the celebration, I couldn't help but get a little choked up. This franchise had not won a title since moving west from NY in 1957. During the celebration, Joe Buck gave a list of longtime Giants players who never got to lift a title. It definitely hit something inside of me. The thing about the Giants (as well as the White Sox and Red Sox before them) going generations without winning a title is not that the franchise necessarily feels the agony; no, it's the fans that feel the agony. It's the 55 year old men who have never been able to say that their beloved Giants are World Series champions. The fans are the true winners.

I know my drought hasn't been that long - 24 years to be exact - but I am starting to feel like I might not see another World Series title in Queens. That is why the Giants winning the title was such a good moment. It gives me some hope heading into next year. I mean, here was a team picked by SI to finish 3rd in the NL West with 83 wins; a team with odds of making the World Series was +3000, of which only 12 teams were worse. This was a middle of the pack team that went on a crazy rollercoaster ride to win the title.

Surely, this means that Mets have a shot next year, right?

1 comment:

  1. Let me answer my own question, but make it seem like I am someone else...

    As we all know the difference between the Giants and the Mets is pitching - Lincecum/Cain/Sanchez/Bumgarner vs Johan/Pelf/Niese/Dickey. And with Johan hurting and Pelf still a head case, don't expect miracles to happen.

    ReplyDelete