Friday, November 12, 2010

Let's Lay off Kovy

I had two emails waiting for me yesterday morning after the Devils 5-4 shootout loss to BUffalo - one from a Devils fan and one from a Penguins fan. Some of you might be able to guess what it was about, but if not, here is a link...

Not exactly what you want from the guy you spent $100 million dollars on. He may only have 2 regular season goals, but clearly a penalty shot should be no problem, right??

Here's what I want to say about the situation. Yes, times are tough right now. The Devils suck. It would be easy for me to blame it all on Kovy. Hell, 95% of fans probably are. I actually choose to go the other way and not blame Kovy. I think that Lou may have actually failed us over the past few years with his signings. Obviously we have a salary cap mess right now and it looks like it's entirely because of Kovy's mega-deal, but to me, it's the $5 million he gave to Rolston, the $3.4 he gave to Dainus Zubrus and the $3.4 million he gave to Henrik Tallinder that really hurt the team. PLUS, I'm not sure what we accomplish by blaming Kovy. Let's face it, Kovy is going to be around for a long time - he has one of the most untradable contracts in NHL history. The ship doesn't get turned around by fans riding Kovy. If anything, it does the opposite: sour Kovy to NJ and make him want to leave. That won't accomplish anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment