Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tuesday Morning Seven-Pack

A five pack simply won't cut it this morning, so here are seven things on my mind to get your day going.
  • I know a lot of people had a nice laugh at Ilya Kovalchuk for his missed PK last Wednesday. Even though I linked to the footage, I encouraged Devils fans to be patient because we had no other choice - he is going to be here for a long time. Well, in the Devs next game against Edmonton on Friday, he atoned for his miss with an OT winner. I want to make sure I link to that as well. (and yes, I know this is a little hollow considering they lost again last night, but give me a break -I wasn't around over the weekend)
  • Bucknell traveled to Marquette on Sunday, two days after falling to Villanova. They led the Golden Eagles by 12 with 10 minutes left, but then scored only 4 more points the entire game and as you can imagine, lost. In looking at the box score, the biggest thing to jump out was foul shooting. Bucknell went 6-11 from the line, compared to Marquette's 23-34 performance. When your opponent gets triple the number of foul shots as you, you are not going to win. It's that simple. (Oh, and when you give up a 24-0 run you won't win either). Still, the Bison faught hard and stayed in the game against another Big East foe. They sit 0-2 on the year and while a loss is a loss, two losses by 16 and 11 (on the road) against top-half Big East teams is very promising.
  • Sometimes I feel that CBS wants to hide Gus Johnson from the country during NFL season. I mean, it always seems like he gets the games that no one cares about. This week was no different - Houston at Jacksonville. Yuck. Well, the football Gods were looking down upon me as I was awoken from my post soccer slumber with this call.
  • I can't believe the San Jose Sharks are now in their 20th year. I remember collecting ProSet Hockey cards - Brian Hayward, Doug Wilson, Brian Mullan, Jeff Hackett (I actually remembered the first two, but not the last) - during their expansion year. Man I am getting old.
  • Last night, WWE Raw was titled 'Old School' and had all of our favorite classic wrestlers. It was fun to see a lot of the guys, but I couldn't help think that it wasn'tclose to as good as it could have been. Don't get me wrong - Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka, Dusty Rhodes, Sgt Slaughter and Hacksaw Jim Duggan will always hold a special place in my heart, but they just don't do it for me anymore. If you truly want to go Old School you need The Ultimate Warrior, The Macho Man, Jake the Snake, Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, The Honky Tonk Man and of course, Hulk Hogan. Now that would be old school. Instead the biggest surprises last night were Slick, Tatanka and the Brooklyn Brawler.
  • I can't possibly be the only person in America who thinks Washington is ABSOLUTELY OUT OF THEIR MIND for extending Donovan McNabb's contract for an additional 5 years? The contract is worth $40 million of guaranteed money. McNabb is 34 and was just benched two weeks ago in the final two minutes for Rex Grossman. That is NUTS.
  • MLS Cup is this weekend -excuse me if I am not excited. I know, I know, it sounds like sour grapes considering my Sounders aren't there, but is there anyone who thinks this is a worthy final? I can handle Dallas being there because they lost only 4 games all year, but I just don't respect Colorado enough. I know the Sounders are a better team than them (just like they are a better team than SJ, the team they beat to get there). Now I won't hope for snow in Toronto because that is not deserving of MLS' showpiece game, but I do hope the Hoops get it done and bring back the first MLS title to Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment