Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Go Away Seahawks

I know that most of my readers are Seahawks' fans so you probably won't like what I have to say, but I just with the Seahawks would go away. I'm not talking about moving, I'm simply saying, please stop playing football this year. Please don't make the nation endure another week of you. Please don't make a mockery of this league by hosting a first round playoff game. Just stop.

I'm not here to complain about how a more deserving team - two of them in fact - with shots of 10 wins may stay home. The NFL rules are what they are. We have divisions to allow for regional rivalries. With this set-up you must ensure that the best team gets a place in the playoffs. Otherwise why not just rank the teams in each conference 1-16 and award playoff spots to the top 6? So yeah, I'm not going to complain about the putrid NFC West getting playoff spot.

What I am complaining about is the possibility that the Seahawks could get that spot. Let's look at some stats objectively.
  • The Seahawks are tied for the 29th toughest schedule in the NFL.
  • They are 6-9 and have been outscored by 106 points. In fact only 3 teams have given up more points on the season than the Seahawks.
  • They have beaten only two teams with winning records - San Diego and Chicago.
  • Their leading rushed has less than 500 yards on the season.
  • Their leading receiver has less than 800 yards on the season.
  • Their backup QB Charlie Whitehurst is starting at QB this week because their longtime starter hurt himself running into the endzone last week.
Now I know that St Louis isn't exactly blowing the league away, but if they win this week they will at least finish with an 8-8 record. With the 30th ranked schedule in the league they will have been outscored by no more than 25 points on the season. What makes them more appealing is that they have a rookie QB with huge upside and an above average back. They also have some talent sprinkled along the line and the defense. In short, they actually have talent.

I have no idea how the ChickenHawks (my dad's name for them, not mine and he actually LOVES the team for some reason now) have a shot at the playoffs. I think they are putrid and should be staying home. Sure Pete Carroll may have brought some energy back to the playoffs, but the best move for them would be to miss the playoffs, improve their draft position and not be fooled by unrealistic assessments of how good they are. They still have a ways to go. Both the front office and the fans need to realize this.

5 comments:

  1. As a Seahawks fan I can only agree with you that missing the playoffs and the better draft position would probably be better in the long run. But then who knows. The Lions have had good draft positions year after year.

    So what is wrong with players and a team over achieving and making the most of a bad situation? New coach, high player turnover, aging QB, multiple injured WRs, should I go on?

    Yeah, we'd have two wins in most other divisions, but so what.

    Oh, and I am this close to tossing your Christmas gift in the fire.


    -JWill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when did you have a fireplace? Do you wear a nice holiday sweater and drink hot cocoa by it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fireplace has always existed. And I sit in front of it drinking beer and watch the Hawks win (sometimes) and lose (mostly). But if you bring the cocoa...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the biggest critic of the hawks, and yes they are shit and it is embarrasing that they have a shot at the playoffs but they are my hometown team and I would never want them to lose. I think your criticism is a little over the top, if they beat the rams (which I think is highly unlikely given the last few weeks) they will have the same record, split series and better divisional record than the rams. That makes the deserving argument moot, they would deserve the spot because they won the game that mattered. Everyone knows they are rebuilding but intentionally losing to get a draft pick? No thanks, ill take a home game and experience for some younger players instead and let's work on getting a new o line and qb for next year and we won't be having this debate again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my posts on the Seahawks - they always seem to elicit debate.

    Look, I am in no way saying the Seahawks should lose on purpose. No way. My point was that I think if they were to lose it would be a blessing in disguise. They have a lot of work to do to get better. I think Hasselbeck needs to go, but I'm afraid that if they make the playoffs someone in the front office will talk themselves into another few years rather than realizing what they have and moving in a different direction.

    As for my criticism - again, I'm not saying that at 7-9 they don't deserve to get in. You're right - they would own the tiebreakers and have the same record as the Rams. Under the current NFL rules they would be a playoff team. I am not bitching about that because it's the rule. I'm just tired of their tired act and don't want them in the playoffs. I don't see much of value to the team right now and think the Rams are better. So I am asking the Rams to win and the Seahawks to play to their talent level.

    ReplyDelete