Friday, December 10, 2010

Hillbilly Hand Fishing

My dad doesn't like any shows with 'killing' in it. And overall, he kind of dislikes most people. So when it comes time to watch tv, he loves to watch networks like the Animal Planet, Discovery, TLC, Speed and Outdoor Life. In doing so, he is always watching the strangest programs. Last night was no different.

I walked in to the tv room to see him watching a show called Hillbilly Hand Fishing on Animal Planet. I am not making up what I am about to say. It is a show about two guys who made a business out of catfish noodling. Basically, they go into lakes or swamps in Oklahoma, find holes where catfish live and stick one of their limbs in the hole in order to get bit by the catfish. The object is to hook them with some rope (through the gills, out the mouth) and catch them - the bait is their feet. I don't know much about fishing, but catfish definitely have teeth, definitely bite hard and definitely will break your skin. The whole process is amazing to think about.

Now these two dudes not only do this for fun, but they have made a business out of it AND there are people who actually sign up to do this. The show chronicles three sets of people in their attempt to 'try something new' and 'face their fears'. Two surfer dudes caught a 70 pound catfish - the thing was huge. I think it was at that point that I decided that this was a brilliant show because it feels too much like fantasy. It's the same way I feel about the Jersey Shore -surely the people are cartoons because no one does this. And that made me feel better about myself.

5 comments:

  1. Catfish don't have teeth, per se. They do have a fine mesh of reverse angle bristles that can certainly rake the skin. This show is total BS. Noodlin' is a real sport but how did those fish come to have a rope in their mouth. Totally exagerated weights. Give me a few days and I can tie up some real 20-30 pounders possibly a few bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. u dont have a clue dude 20 to 30 pounds is nothing and the show is real. all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real...like Jersey Shore or Housewives of ___(pick your city). No reality tv is 'real'. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to school with Skipper's son and everything they do is real. He is well known in southern Oklahoma for what he does

    ReplyDelete