Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Re-Entry Draft 2nd Round

Last Wednesday there was little action in the first round of the MLS Re-Entry Draft (Those who missed out can read about it here). Tomorrow however should be a little different as eligible players no longer have to be paid at or above their 2010 salary. For the past week, teams have been given access to negotiate contracts with eligible players, a sort of feeling out process. If the desired player is available when the team is on the board, they are free to select him. If not, then they are out of luck. If they do select a player but then cannot come to an agreement then I believe the player is a true free agent.

Like all MLS rules, it's a little hard to wrap your head around. All I know is that tomorrow we will see players like Juan Pablo Angel, Jimmy Conrad, Guillermo Barros Schelotto and Freddie Hejduk changing addresses for the 2011 season. The Sounders have the 9th pick out of 18 teams. Seeing that they are involved again in Champions League, I expect them to pick someone for depth. I don't see them going after one of the big names, but if they can get someone Luke Sassano, Carey Talley, Duncan Oughton or Ciaran O'Brien to take less money it might be worth it. I am simply throwing out names - I really have no idea - but figure those guys are good as any. I mean, I can't see them throwing money at the likes of Jeff Cunningham, Fred, Jimmy Conrad or Jaime Moreno.

Who is poised to benefit the most? It has to be a team like DC United who could really use the veteran leadership of Jimmy Conrad or Philly who could certainly find a spot for Schelotto in their midfield (regardless of how much they love Roger Torres) or Chivas USA who certainly could use Angel or Josh Wolff to help jump start their anemic offense.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be unexpected and of course I'll be back to cover it.

No comments:

Post a Comment