Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sounders Get Keeper of the Future

UPDATED: Seitz traded to FC Dallas for a 4th Round Draft Pick (that's it?). Read the following if you like, but know that it no longer stands. I should have waited.
**************
As expected their was a lot of movement in the second phase of the MLS Re-Entry Draft. Josh Wolff, Jimmy Conrad, Juan Pablo Angel, Frankie Hejduk and Jeff Cunningham were the biggest names to change their address. I certainly was not surprised to see them selected, however I was very surprised by what the Sounders did with the 9th pick. I assumed they would be looking for depth in the midfield or defense, but instead they selected Chris Seitz, a 23 year old goalie formerly of Salt Lake and Philadelphia.

My initial reaction is one of excitement. I know Seitz had some really down moments this year, but I am convinced that he is going to be a quality goalie in this league. After being selected 4th overall in the 2007 draft, he sat behind Nick Rimando for his first three years in the league. I always assumed that Rimando was simply going to give way to Seitz, but a funny thing happened along the way -Rimando regained his form and became one of the top 3 goalies in the league, leading RSL to the 2009 MLS Cup. As a result, Seitz was expendable and traded to expansion Philly where he was to battle against another young keeper, Brad Knighton for the starting position. He definitely had some growing pains (you may have seen this gaffe) this past year but I am really shocked to see the Union give up on him so quickly. Physically he is as gifted as any keeper in the league, but I really think that having to be the man for an expansion team messed with his head. Philly may have thought they built a strong backline, but I'm not convinced that a team can succeed with Danny Califf leading the way. Seitz faced a ton of shots and when things started to go wrong, he only had another young player to talk to. Imagine if he had Kasey Keller to turn to when things went south. Imagine if he had Jeff Parke, Pat Ianni, and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado in front of him. There is no way he self destructs.

It is no secret that Kasey Keller is coming back for one more year. He has publicly stated his desire to be a part of the Portland and Vancouver rivalries, but has also given indication that it will be his last year. I assumed that we would go out and sign Marcus Hahnemann when he left England, but this is even better. No disrespect to Marcus, but he is in his late 30's. If Seitz can gain back his confidence and go into 2012 as the starter there is no reason why he can't be in Seattle for a long time. Sure I feel bad for Terry Boss, who I like and think can continue to be a serviceable backup, but his ceiling is not that of a starter. He is a back-up plain and simple. Seitz is a potential all-star and he is coming into a great situation in Seattle where he will not be relied on to make 10 saves a game. I think this was a coupe on our part.

However, I can't overlook the way in which we got Seitz. He was left unprotected in the Expansion Draft and then pulled back from Philly lost their first player. When you're a 23year old goalie who is supposed to be one of the leaders on your team and you a left unprotected, you have to sense that something isn't quite right. When you are then pulled back you have to assume that either the team gambled by leaving you unprotected or they had no idea what they were doing. Coach Peter Nowak assured everyone that Seitz was a key part of the Union, but then they made him eligible for the Re-Entry Draft. I have to imagine that they thought no one would pick him and that they could then renegotiate with him for a lower salary (he was getting paid $155k) in 2010. Either that or they simply wanted to let Seitz move on (after all they are being linked with 39-year old Colombian keeper Faryd Mondragon). Obviously this doesn't instill the utmost confidence in Seitz, but I have seen him with my two eyes and think his talent is too great not to be good. So I am going believe that this was a great signing.

The one other selection of note was Tyrone Marshall being picked by the Colorado Rapids. My boy J-Will and I had two goals for this off-season - to make sure Pete Vagenas and Tyrone Marshall were not in rave green come 2011. We have been granted our wish. It's not that I didn't Tyrone (I actually didn't like Pete) it's just for $169k he was way too expensive considering his diminished role. I would be ok with him sticking around at say $75k, but we can pay a rookie out of college 3 times less to kick the ball as far and as long as Marshall does with every touch. I thank him for his service to the Sounders (I am not sure everyone remembers how our defense was thought to be our week point before the 2009 season). He was tossed aside by Toronto and stepped in to lead the stingiest defense in the league in 2009. For that he deserves much praise. With the emergence of Jeff Parke however, he became expendable. I wish him the best of luck in Colorado and hope that come 2011 Fredy Montero can get under his skin and cause a proto-typical Tyrone Marshall retaliation yellow card.

[UPDATE: Josh Meyers of the Seattle Times is suggesting that Seitz may still be on the move after Seitz tweeted "Its not all over yet!!" So let's stay tuned as the above may all become a moot point if he is traded for what I would expect to be cap space.]

1 comment:

  1. Got rid of Marshall and Pete, signed Montero as a DP, and got another Swede. Go Sounders

    -J-Will

    ReplyDelete