Thursday, January 20, 2011

Buying Into the Mets

Something strange is happening...I am starting to get really excited for the upcoming Mets season. Maybe it's because I have lowered my expectations. Maybe it's because we have hit rock bottom. Maybe I am just tired of the Devils and Nets sucking. Whatever the reason, I am starting to talk myself into being excited. Let's count the ways.
  • I am starting to talk myself into Terry Collins. Listen to any of the players and they all rave about him. They all talk about his leadership. They all talk about his discipline. After five years of Charlie Manuel and Willie Randolph, he might actually be a good fit (well, for a few years before he alienates everyone).
  • I am starting to talk myself into comeback years for Carlos Beltran, Jose Reyes and Jason Bay. Beltran and Reyes are not far removed from being two of baseball's top players and are both free agents at the end of the year - they NEED to have huge years if they want to get paid. As for Bay, he is too good not to rebound, right?
  • I am starting to talk myself into the free agent signings. I think I love the one-year deal they gave Chris Young. He is a flyball pitcher who is perfect for our ballpark and will be extra motivated to pitch well in order to get a long term contract in the offseason. Same goes for Taylor Bucholz and Chris Capuano. I may not be in favor of one-year deals moving forward with this team, but for now, while we are trying to tear down the foundation in order to rebuild it again, it is perfect.
  • I am starting to talk myself into the pitching staff not being terrible. Mike Pelfrey may not be the ideal opening day starter and RA Dickey may not be an ideal #2 starter, but both have good to great stuff and can possibly win 13-15 games. Add in an improving Jon Niese and Dillon Gee, I think there is tons of upside to the staff (and don't forget that we get Johan back mid-season).
  • I am starting to talk myself into a good bullpen. Alderson and Collins do not believe in penciling pitchers into specific roles, but they have been acquiring arms that can do anything. I have to believe that Collins handles the bullpen better than Manual last year.
  • I don't need to talk myself into Wright, Ike and Thole. I love them.
  • Finally, I am starting to talk myself into the Phils not being as good as everyone says. I was the first to say that their staff was unhittable, but their bullpen is not very good and their offense is getting older by the day. I know this might be the most ridiculous thing to talk myself into, but hey, I need to talk myself into something...
Pitchers and catcher haven't even reported and I am already pumping myself...for the inevitable letdown. Let's Go Mets Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment