Sunday, January 23, 2011

Monday Morning Five-Pack

If you're like me, you got a case of the Monday's today. So to help, here is a Monday morning five pack of sports goodness. Hope you enjoy.
  • What has gotten into the Devils? They are not 6-0-1 in their last seven, having outscored opponents 28-13. They have pulled themselves into a tie for last in the league with the Oilers are are only two points behind the 14th place Islanders in the East. I said I would start believing if they beat the Flyers on Saturday. Well, they did. And then they beat Florida. I'm ready to go into 100% hope mode, but they remain 20 points out of the playoffs. That is ridiculous. So if they beat Detroit on Wednesday, I'll start to believe.
  • Since Mikhail Prokhorov officially called off the negotiations with Denver, the Nets are 2-1 (and would be 3-0 if not a one point loss to Dallas). I'm not naive enough to say the loss of the distractions are the only reason for the improved play, but it definitely has to be part of the reason. Also contributing is the resurgence of Brook Lopez, the return of Anthony Morrow from injury and some straight-up stability. After tinkering with the lineup for a good part of two months, it seems like Avery Johnson finally has settled on his rotation.
  • I unfortunately did not watch one down of either conference championship games Sunday and I'm not sure that I will be able to give any sort of breakdown of SB45. What I can say though, is that the match-up is all that we could have hoped for. I know that won't go over well with Seahawks fans, but having the Steelers face the Packers is perfect. You have the NFC/NFL's most successful team, the 12-time champion Packers against the 6-time Super Bowl Champion Steelers. It's like the NFL version of Celtics-Lakers or Canadians-Red Wings. I am super stoked.
  • My college basketball teams continue to roll. The Huskies eked out a tough win against a gritty ASU team in a game that past teams may have gotten tripped up by. If they want to finish the conference with 1-3 losses and improve their seeding, they need to win games like this. Bucknell on the other hand improved to 4-0 in the Patriot League but actually saw their RPI drop because of how poor Colgate is this year (330+ in RPI). I am sold on us winning the regular season crown, but terrified that we might somehow get upset in the PL tourney.
  • Finally, a word on my favorite soccer player, Clint Dempsey. Some of you may be aware that I met Clint at an airport in 2005 as he was on his way back to the Revolution after being cut from National team camp. He was a totally cool dude who didn't tell me to get lost when I approached him. I have been a big fan ever since. Anyways, the dude is the best American playing in the EPL. He has already become a Craven Cottage legend for his relegation saving goal against Liverpool in 2007 and his miracle goal against Juverntus in 2010. Every year time the Fulham is nearing relegation, he is there to save him. The dude just kills it. With rumors of a Liverpool transfer undying, Clint went out and scored two against Stoke City on Saturday - including one PK, a spot where very few Americans have ever scored from in the EPL. I'm not sure whether I want him to go to Liverpool. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Liverpool, I just don't want him to get stuck on a bench. Sure, they are less likely to get relegated in the next five years, but he has a good thing going right now.

3 comments:

  1. Not sure if you saw how he set up the PK, but it was pretty sick! He brought down about a 40 yard pass, on the turn, and placed the ball perfectly behind the defender (with one touch) to set up the scoring chance (then got brought down). In other EPL news, Spector got a nice goal (from the highlights it looked like he was playing midfield?). And, speaking of the Reds, who is that dude who scored the ridiculous goal for Liverpool? Meireles? Did he do anything in the World Cup? Has he been playing like that all season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah man, Clint's first goal was an ugly one, but his touch on the second was really really nice.

    Combined with jones and holden getting starts it was a nice day for American field players in the EPL.

    Oh and have no idea who that meireles guy is

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your SB45 terminology. Is that what they have officially started calling it? i was wondering the other day when they would begin to abandon the Roman numerals for Super Bowls. Bowl they are referring to with those stupid symbols. It really gets confusing after 38 (XXXVIII). What is the point of Roman numerals anyways? And what is the justification of using a Roman numeral over a regular number?

    ReplyDelete