Wednesday, January 19, 2011

NBA's Most Funnest Teams

In what might be a huge surprise to some, there apparently wasn't enough support given to the idea of having a 12-win team on national tv in 2010-11. As a result, I don't get to see my Nets at all. However, being on the West Coast gives me the awesome opportunity to watch some really fun teams without having to stay up to 2am. My buddy Gorman was shocked to hear that I enjoy watching teams like the Suns and the Warriors considering they don't play a lick of defense, a staple of college-age Schmicker. Now while I do enjoy my share of fundamentals and defense, the 80-78 games involving the early 2000 Pistons made me want to gauge my eyes out. Just because I am not skilled enough to score at will and just because all I can do is set screens, box out and get on the floor doesn't mean I want to watch a pro team do it.

In railing on the Seahawks recently, I said that they were uninteresting and someone I didn't care to watch. Since this went over so well, I thought I should take the time to list the 2011 NBA Teams I Find Most Interesting to Watch (TIFMIW) and the reasons why. A basic premise is as follows: is this a team I am willing to watch take on a boring team like Detroit or Cleveland?

1. Miami Heat - LeBron. Wade. Killing the hopes and dreams of opposing crowds.
2. LA Clippers - Two words: Blake Griffin. Enough said.
3. OKC - Look, I'm a transplant so my allegiance to the old Sonics isn't as strong as others. the chance to see not only Durant but also Westbrook is too good to pass up
4. NY Knicks - As a Nets fans I'm not supposed to admit this, but I enjoy watching the Knicks all of a sudden. You can single handedly thanks Amare for that - I have always thought he was a freak.
5. San Antonio - Love the fundamentals. Love Popovich. Not bored by Manu or Timmay
6. Golden St. - No defense + Stephen curry + Monta Ellis = 48 minutes of fun
7. Utah - Not sure what it is, but really like Deron Williams. Would be higher if not for AK47's new hairdo
8. Chicago - Derrick Rose is quickly becoming the best point guard in the league
9. Minnesota - They definitely aren't any good, but I can't pass up an opportunity to see Kevin Love pull down 20boards in a game (he's done it 7 times already)
10. Dallas - Not a huge fan of Shawn Marion or even Jason Terry, but Dirk and aging Jason Kidd are good for at least one highlight a night

So who is a shocking omission from this list? Has to be Portland and Phoenix, two teams that at one point made my dream match-up. But then the Suns killed their team and made Steve Nash play next to Hakim Warrick, Marcin Gortat and Vince Carter. Meanwhile, Brandon Roy lost all the cartilage in his knee and in the process, Portland lost all their excitement.

Who are the teams Jonesing to get on this list?
Orlando - Always good for something, whether it be from J-Rich or Stan Van Gundy's wardrobe.
Milwaukee - Simply to see if Brockman gets any minutes
Boston - Definitely a subjective decision on my part, but I just can't get up for anyone on this team besides Rondo (Which is a shame because they are damn good)
LA Lakers- I hate Kobe, but they are at least fun to root against. And they play some nice basketball from time to time.


Meanwhile, the list of most uninteresting/least exciting teams are as follows (and no, their names do not deserve boldface):
30. Cleveland -Just everything is sad about this franchise
29. Detroit - Maybe they are punished for past discretions, but wow is this a boring team
28. Philadelphia - Occasionally Elton Brand may have a nice game, but does anyone come home from a Sixers game raving about how fun it was?
27. Sacramento - Sorry Jason, but I can't find anything fun with Sac-town these days. Maybe if they take Cousins off the meds...then just maybe
26. Toronto - Interestingly enough, this isn't a Euroleague team but an NBA. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment