Wednesday, February 23, 2011

D-Will to Jersey

I really try not to post while at work, but in light of this morning's stunning news, I couldn't resist. For those who haven't heard by now, All-Star Point Guard Deron Williams has been traded to NJ for Devin harris, Derrick Favors and 2-1st round draft picks. I have been scouring the web over the past week for any info on possible Nets deals and not once did this come up. Simply put, it is shocking. Oh, and I forgot to mention, amazing. I am really really really on board with this trade, even if the prelim reports out of Utah is that D-Will is not happy.

The reasons for my excitement are simple:
  1. D-Will is an elite player and arguably the top PG in the game (apologies to Rondo and Rose who I rate slightly lower at this time)
  2. He still has 1.5 years left on his contract before being a free agent. There is time to convince him that we have a plan and that we will be a contender.
  3. There is a potential that he could help lure Dwight Howard here in 2012
  4. We gave up less in acquiring Williams than we would have to get Anthony
  5. I like D-Will a whole lot more than I ever did Anthony
I'm no fool - I know they still have a ways to go, especially after trading some of their best assets. I know all the hype - Favors is a potential cornerstone guy. I know he has the tools and the potential to be a stud in this league, but I'm never sold on the "potential" as ultimately it doesn't win anything. If in three years he is averaging 20/12 and a top-5 PF then, yeah, we will need to reevaluate the trade. But what happens if his career goes in another direction and he never realizes his potential, being stuck as a back-up who averages 11/6 - obviously the trade won't look terrible.

I also know that Brook Lopez has digressed this year, but I refuse to give up hope. I think he still has the potential to be the second best center in the league (uh-oh, I just used that word..but at least in this case we have seen it happen as little as two years ago) and I think D-Will's presence will be a gift from heaven. No longer will he need to be the go-to guy. No longer will he be blamed for the team's inefficiency - nope, now he can just go back to being Brook. I still see big things for him. As for the rest of the team, I think Kris Humphries, while not an All-Star, can still be effective in grabbing 10-12 rebounds a game. I also think Anthony Morrow will benefit from having a guard who can get him the ball in situations where he can succeed. And I think it means less minutes for Jordan Farmar who has been a disappointment.

The internet is buzzing with analysis. So far, my favorites is from SI's Zach Lowe. I will post more places to read about the trade as they come in. For now, let me say that I am uber-excited for D-Will and the Nets.

********************
In a totally unrelated note, my boy Jon Brockman pulled down 14 rebounds in 25 minutes (!!) of action last night. Coach Skiles - see what you get when you give the man more minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment