Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Morning Five-Pack

Is there anyone out there who thinks Matthew Perry's new sitcom, Mr Sunshine, is going to be any good? This has all the looks of another failed attempt by a Friends cast member to get back into tv...and with that comes a failed segue into my Friday Morning Five Pack. So let's get to it.
  • I honestly have no analysis for the Super Bowl that people haven't heard. We know Green Bay can't run the ball on Pittsburgh, but we know where they are going to be able to throw the ball all day. For me the key will be the Steelers' experience. I think Green Bay is still young and will make a big mistake to cost them the game. Ultimately I am very excited for not only the game, but for Kim Kardashian's fourth quarter commercial as well. Bring it on.
  • On this week's Raw, we saw a vignette of an unknown person in a raincoat walking in the rain up the stairs to a dark house with the date 2.21.11. Internet rumors instantly started that the unknown man was Sting and that he was coming to WWE to challenge the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. I have ordered 2 pay-per-views in my life and while I can't justify buying my third, if this was to happen, I would seriously have to think about it. That would be HUGE.
  • Tickets to Cascadia Summit sold out real quickly. I am happy to say that I was one of the lucky ones to be able to get tickets. Like everyone else, I got crushed by the fees, but overall it was a painless experience. I am totally excited about the Sounders-Vancouver match and think it is going to be electric in a smaller, more intimate setting than Qwest. I have a lot more to say about the rave green, but will be saving it for another set of posts.
  • Back in October I suggested that Georgia boosters give Mark Richt a break in the midst of his first down year. Well, it looks like it has paid off - the Dawgs got the 6th ranked recruiting class in the nation. Now it's not a huge surprise as they always seem to recruit well, but so do LSU, Bama, Auburn and Florida. The problem is always putting those classes together to make a super team. SEC teams have won 5 straight national titles and while UGA has to many holes to believe that 2011 is the year, but 2012 is definitely going to be fun. Meanwhile on the other side of the country, UW pulled in a top 25 recruiting class, thanks in large part to their Holiday Bowl win. The best part of their class is that they were able to secure the top 5 players from the state of Washington. This was a problem with the Willingham regime and a blueprint that Lorenzo Romar has succesfully used to build the bball program into a powerhouse.
  • Stepping aside for a minute, how ridic is this whole ridiculous recruiting process? I was sickened by the coverage that ESPN gave signing day. Listen, I know that college football is a huge deal, but 18 year olds should not be trotted out on tv like they are adults. If they spurn one school for another, they become a villain and have their Facebook accounts and emails flooded with death threats. At the school they do commit to they become a legend and the instant exploitation begins. I would love to see a similar network spend that much time on the college choice of a top rated cello player or a Rhodes Scholar.
That's all I got for now. Enjoy the Super Bowl. Go Pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment