Monday, February 7, 2011

Suck Devils, Suck..

Go back in time to January 8th. The Devils were dead last in the NHL with a 10-28-2 record and were on pace for a miserable 45 points. I had given up on the season. I was looking forward to getting the top draft pick. I was looking forward to reloading. I was getting ready for baseball season.

Then a funny thing happened - they actually started winning some games. Nine out of twelve to be exact. Along the way they have passed the Islanders, Oilers and Senators in the standings. At 42 points, they still remain 16 points out of 8th place. In 2009-2010, 88 points was enough to get into the playoffs. Assuming the same point total this year, the Devils will need to finish the season 22-5-2 to make the playoffs. I know that their recent run has been amazing and I know it has me being uber-excited, but 22-5-2 in the final 29 games is unfathomable to think about.

That brings me to my point - are the Devils actually screwing themselves by not sucking? If they are not going to make the playoffs, they would wise to finish with one of the worst records in the league (unlike the NBA, only one of the worst 5 NHL teams can move up to #1 spot, while teams can only move down one spot). After a decade and a half of drafting in the bottom of the first round, their is minimal, if any, young talent in the organization. If we could re-sign Parise, then he and Ilya could lead the next wave of Devils superstars into the promise land. But if they continue to win and finish 10th in the East, then they will be drafting in the early teens once again.

If I have to look at this realistically, I think they should suck for the rest of the season. It's probably an unpopular stance, but one that might help us get over this abomination of a season.

1 comment:

  1. posting a comment to my own blog...I have to say it is hard to root against the Devils. Just last night I was holding out hope that they would beat the Hurricanes. Thanks to a bunch of rookies, they did. Now they sit 15 points out of 8 and need to win 21 of their final 28 to realistically have a shot. Maybe if I keep on telling myself that stat I won't put too much hope and faith into the most improbable of all comebacks.

    A loss to Toronto would certainly expedite the lack of faith however.

    ReplyDelete