Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Morning Five-Pack

It's been a few days since I've posted - no legitimate excuses besides getting back into Tony. Don't worry though, the break from writing hasn't meant a break from thinking about sports. I am trying to cut down on the number of brain dumps, but I think this warrants one. So let's get to it:
  • Ok, so Sounders at home against Houston tonight. A lot has been written about this team after consecutive 1-0 losses. I continue to not be worried though...in fact, I think tonight is the night they break out. I think they put at least two in against Houston - we are too talented to continue to suck. Maybe it's Jaqua late in the game. Maybe it's Montero in amazing fashion. Maybe it's Ozzie on a long bomb. I don't know. I just feel good.
  • The outrage over moving NFL kickoffs to the 35 continues to dumbfound me. Just the other day I was listening to Mike Golic and Merril Hoge kill the new proposal, saying it is going to hurt the game; make it less exciting; not help guard against injuries. I just don't see it - look, the goal of the rule is to help avoid injuries to not only the returners but to the guys who are getting blown up as they chase after them. With the growing number of players who are having their careers cut short because of concussions or knee injuries, I don't see why this is a bad thing. You know that, on second thought I'm not that dumbfounded...with nothing but respect to my level-headed football friends TGasp and DLib, this is a typical dumb jock response. Football players think they are invincible. Many at the pro level are willing to risk injury to get paid. Then after their career is over they can't walk or think straight. Guys, get over it...I know football is a macho sport, but you can be macho and protect yourself at the same time. Think how much better your life will be if you can actually enjoy the money you are making.
  • It was a nice run for the Devils, but it looks like their playoff chances are done. I knew their run was too good to last, it is just sad that it ended this way - with losses to Ottawa and then a 4-0 loss to Boston. Man, if we could have only kept it up for another few games - Parise is back practicing this week. So where do we go from now? Check out the post from my boy Martin
  • Here is a question I always think about - would you rather lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament or win the NIT? Ultimately I think it has everything to do with your situation. If you are a senior laden team, then I think the NCAA Tournament is the way to go. If you're young and in need of games, then the NIT can definitely be a worthwhile experience. Look at WSU - I know the games don't really mean much, but their success in the NIT will have positive effects on the squad next year. They will gain not only extra playing time together, but confidence and experience in tense situations. I'm not sure UW would have gotten the same out of it - it would have been a major letdown considering their pre-season status. They needed to go the Big Dance even if they did lose to UConn.
  • Finally, can we talk about the amazing run that Kris Humphries of the Nets is having? I don't want to credit anything to my girl Kim Kardashian, but wow, has Humprhries been a beast over the last few months (12.7 points and 13.8 boards a game since Feb 9). On Wednesday night, he had 23 rebounds, the most for any Nets player since 1999-2000, and is currently averaging 10.4 boards per game on the year (no Nets player has averaged double digits in boards in a decade). We all would have assumed Lopez would have been the double-double guy, but Humphries continues to do all the dirty work and many believe he is the reason for Lopez's numbers having gone down. I'm not concerned about that but rather what we are going to do at the end of the season with Humph. He is a free agent but so are Zach Randolph and David West, the two 'biggest' free agents in the class. Is this a one year thing (in 6 years previous he averaged only 3.5 boards) or did coming to Jersey finally bring out his full potential? I don't know the answer but am glad that I don't have to make the decision.
That's all I got for now. Enjoy the remaining Sweet 16 and Elite 8 match-ups, the US-Argentina friendly and any other MLS games that are on over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment