Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Favorite 2010 Sounders Goals

In my previous post I told of my concerns for the 2011 Sounders. I realize it was a bit of a downer, so I wanted to provide something to be excited about...how about my list of 5 favorite Fredy Montero goals of 2010 as well my list of 5 favorite non-Fredy goals of 2010. These are not meant to necessarily be the best goals, but hold a special place in my heart for I how felt after having seen them.

Fredy Montero goals:
  1. Houston, August 8 - This my favorite of 2010 because it showed just how much Fredy had matured since 2009. If that was his first year he would have been rolling on the ground with the slightest hint of contact. Instead he uses his strength to hold off Eddie Robinson, turns and beats Pat Onstad.
  2. New York, May 15 - One of the rare road games on this list, this goal was pure brilliance. Instead of sulking because he had to sit on the bench, Fredy scored the game winner late against the Red Bulls. Anyone who plays any kind of rec ball knows how difficult a running chest-thigh trap combo is...this goal was pure class.
  3. Chicago, August 28 - Part of me loves this goal because of Arlo's call. Part of me loves it because of the significance to the season. Part of me loves it because I called it the second after it left Sturgis' foot. And still, part of me loves it because it took the spotlight away from the other Freddie.
  4. New England, June 5 - This goal just felt good because it came on the end of a 3 goal explosion in the first half. The hesitation stutter step was subtle and really effective.
  5. FC Dallas, April 22 - This would have been rated higher because of the difficulty but the game was on the road and I was at a wedding.
And now some non-Fredy goals:
  1. Leo Gonzalez vs New England - I felt the same way about this goal as I did about Nate Jaqua's goal vs Columbus in 2009 (3:19 mark in the clip). When he struck the ball time seemed to stand still. The stadium went quiet in anticipation. The result did not disappoint. Sublime.
  2. Mike Fucito vs Kansas City - Fucito still relatively unknown by the common fan (but a legend to the hardcore) when he hit this game winner in stoppage time. It happened so quickly we weren't ready for it. Arlo's call (of course I watch every game again on tv) was possibly his best of the year...and the celebration was great (if not awkward)
  3. Steve Zakuani vs New England - Volley. Enough said.
  4. Blaise N'kufo vs Columbus - His third goal of the day was the most skilled even though he made it look easy. Zakuani gets a lot of credit for the run, but N'kufo gets more credit for easily bending the ball outward to the upper 90.
  5. (tie) Roger Levesque vs DC and Steve Zakuani vs Chivas - Roger's goal was on the road, but epitimized everything we like about him: Scoring big goals and putting himself in danger by trying a diving header with a foot coming at him. Steve's goal looks simple, but I loved how he stayed on his feet after getting sandwiched rather than taking a dive.
Last post of the day before tonight's game. I hope to have a list of reasons to be excited to counteract the reasons to be concerned but I imagine that will be contingent on how we do tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment