Monday, March 14, 2011

Life is good.

I don’t know the last time I’ve been this excited about sports. I mean, it’s been years. Recent playoff collapses by the Devils (including eliminations by the homos and the other homos) and the seemingly never-ending grind of a baseball season and that stupid super bowl where the 3rd string, out of work receiver caught a pass on his helmet after the 1 fucking time that Eli “not good enough to carry Peyton’s jock strap” manning doesn’t fall down under pressure. That one blew. The ridiculousness of the off-season Kovalchuk debacle was just miserable, too.

But right now... right now is different. Let’s recap:

1. The Devils are awesome. Fucking awesome, in fact. See below.

2. I usually get giddy once spring training is under way. What’s different this year is that I was really excited by the Red Sox off-season moves. The last time I was excited by their off-season was when they traded for Josh Beckett. I know the implications of that were trading away one of the best short-stops in the league, but I don’t think Hanley wins them the 2007 world Series (and the Mike Lowell as a salary-cutting throw in was fantastic as well, but less exciting at the time). Prior to trading for Adrian Gonzalez, I was really hoping they might be able to trade for Prince Fielder. But after reading up on Gonzalez, I couldn’t be happier that he’s with the Sox , likely for years to come. I think I’d much rather have him than Teixiera, although he’s nothing to slouch at. By the way, I’m really happy that he said he wouldn’t waive his no trade clause under any circumstances, essentially keeping the Yanks from signing Albert Pujols as their new first baseman (I suppose they could bring him and have them split time at first and DH, which would be pretty scary, actually…). You know what, forget I ever mentioned Teixiera and think about how great it is they still have AJ Burnett.

I’m really getting into the Youkilis, Pedroia, Gonzalez infield of the future (along with shortstop du jour). I’ve been high on Lester since his rookie year. I think Beckett and Ellsbury will both bounce back to some degree. Buccholz is proving that the team was right not to trade him for Victor Martinez. And oh yeah, in case you missed it, we signed that Carl Crawford fellow as well, which, if nothing else, is great because we don’t have to have him run on us anymore.

Anyway, I’m really happy with the team, even though we lost Martinez and his handshakes. Even with John Lackey and Dice-K. Even with the Varitek/Salty catching tandem. Yes, even with the soul-sucking at-bat of misery that is JD Drew.

Even after re-reading that last sentence, yes, I am still excited. I’m sure it will wane at some point, maybe around game #622, but right now… it’s all good.

3. Who’s going to fill out their Women’s NCAA tournament bracket? I’m not going to, but I do plan on amusing myself with plenty of jokes about said bracket and that’s really all that matters.

(Actually, the only turd in my punchbowl is the fact that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman just received a contract extension. Yes, I believe David Stern implanted him to ruin the league, consequently raising the NBA to the undisputed #3 sport. I truly hate that count chocula-looking bastard as he makes me hate the NHL, even though I love ice hockey)

Welcome home, excitement. I’m glad you and sports could finally meet up again and return to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment