Sunday, March 6, 2011

Stupid Timbers

OK...so I was partially right. I said the only way the timbers beat us is if they were to score an early goal and then Sigi played his subs in the second half. Well, the first goal was of the ugly variety (I know it was wet out, but Kasey you have to hold on to that)...the part I got wrong was how Sigi handled his personnel as he only brought on 4 subs deep into the second half.

Straight up, Portland beat us. If you listen to the quotes after the game or read many of the Seattle bloggers, you will get the sense that all is ok. "We had the better of the play...we were able to connect a lot of passes...we just have to work on scoring" You know, the same old stuff that happens every time we lose.

Look, I love that we play attractive soccer. I love that we are not bunkering down, playing long balls and hoping for a mistake. I love that, it's just that sometimes we get tripped up by teams who are wiling to adapt to win. Portland won the game...I am not taking anything away from them. But it was clear that once they got their goal they were happy to defend. The line-up was made up of a lot of marginal starters from other MLS clubs, but they all had the fire in them as if they had played for Portland for years. Jewsbury was his annoying self. Jeremy Hall was buzzing all around. Sal Zizzo played with a chip on his shoulders. In the end, they beat us. Simple as that.

Now a few observations:
  • Even though I love Arlo, I thought switching announcing duties after the first half was very smart
  • Zakuani looked dangerous all night
  • Alonso was his normal self - breaking up plays and doing a nice of starting the attack
  • Brad Evans was mostly silent - I am a big fan in general of his, but I will be keeping a close eye on him to make sure I remain objective. I mean he was no where to be seen
  • Nkufo looks like he has weights on his legs. It will be important for him to hold the ball up this season because I don't think he can run
  • Where was Timber killer Roger Levesque? Honestly, he would have been good for a goal.
  • Does Sigi throw his second unit out today?
  • The cameraman was definitely having a hard time - he was apparently in pre-season form as well
Today The Wife, J-Will and I are making the trip down to Tukwila to see them take on the Whitecaps. We are VERY excited to see the boys again. Here's hoping for good weather and some goals. COME ON YOU SOUNDERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment