Monday, May 9, 2011

Two additional things

I forgot to discuss in my last post the terrible news that RSL's Javier Morales had his ankle broken after a terrible tackle from behind. This now means that in less than a month, the league has lost Steve Zakuani, David Ferreira and Morales. It is an epidemic that is hard to explain. MLS has always been a physical league (American physical, not European physical) but this string of injuries seems to be a little out of place. I can understand one, but not all three within one month.

MLS is going to have to be consistent with the suspension handed out to Chivas USA's Marcos Mondaini. If Brian Mullan deserved 10 games, then by my estimation, Mondaini deserves equal if not more. Mullan's tackle remains horrifying every time I see it. There was no way to defend it...but at least it wasn't from behind. Tackles form behind are cowardly and have no place in the game. A message needs to be sent.

Obviously additional games were given to Mullan because of Zakuani's stature in the league. And some of Mondaini's punishment will come as a result of Morales' stature in the league. It may not be fair, but MLS is trying to send a message that creative play must be protected. IF we ever want to increase our reputation across the glove, we need to move away from brutish play. We need exciting, creative players to want to come to MLS. it might not be fair to someone like Mullan, but it's the way of the land.

***********

In something non-soccer related, I just wanted to rip on the Lakers for a second. I know most of America is happy that they got swept. I am shocked and appalled. Don't get me wrong, I am not a Lakers apologist...I am always rooting against them. I am just shocked at how they rolled over.

I mean, they were the two-time defending champs. They were playing a team with a history of choking in the playoffs. I don't care how many games they have played in the past 3years. I don't care how tired everyone was. I don't even care that no one could guard JJ Barea. All I know is that the Lakers should have won this series and if not, they should have put up a fight.

Losing by 36 (!) to the Mavs in what will be Phil Jackson's last game as coach is pathetic. The entire team should be ashamed of themselves. They blew their last good opportunity. I mean, the other teams in the West are starting to come into their prime. OKC is going to be a top team. Denver might be. Memphis might be. Hell, even Dallas is younger than the Lakers.

Even if they make it back to the Finals next year, we know that Miami and Chicago are better than them. They blew it. They choked. Period. End of paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment