Thursday, June 16, 2011

Random Thoughts..

It's been a pretty busy couple of days around the house, but that doesn't mean sports has taken a backseat - just the blogging that has. Here are some of my random thoughts from the past few days:
  • I don't want to downplay the unfortunate violence and rioting that followed the Canucks loss, but I want to make sure all soccer haters are aware that this can happen anywhere. Hate soccer for whatever reason you want, but don't assume that fan violence is only a soccer phenomenon. There are idiots in every city, including those in a sophisticated North American city.
  • The advertisement on the back cover of my SI is for Chaps and implies that there are fathers out there who where Chaps while coaching little league. If I EVER wear Chaps to coach my kid, please please please find me and kick me repeatedly.
  • The Mariners brought up heralded 2nd base prospect Dustin Ackley today. I continue to hear good things about him and am excited to see him play. Same goes for some of the other prospects around the league - Anthony Rizzo, Erik Hosmer and Mike Moustakas to name a few
  • The Mets came into the night at .500 and then in typical fashion balked in the winning run in the 10th inning for the loss. That aside, I am really enjoying this team. If there was one negative of the previous regime it was that they seemed to give up when things were going poorly. Under Terry Collins they continue to fight. With Wright, Davis and Santana out, Bay hitting .214 and a combined 6-13 record for Pelfrey and Dickey they are still somehow one game under .500. It's been quite a ride so far.
  • The Red Sox are showing how stupid people are for overreacting after their 0-7 start. Face it folks, 0-7 is not the end of the year when the season is 162 games long and you have the talent of the Sox. If it was the Orioles, then yeah, that's a problem, but this was the Sox we were talking about.
  • I was accused of diving in my over-30 co-ed soccer game on Wednesday. It stuck with me for awhile, because I was on a breakaway and could not benefit in any way by going down. Add in the fact that I'm old - why would I intentionally throw myself on the ground?
  • I'm sorry, but there is no way any of the Big 3 get traded this offseason. I know are calling for it, but it's just not going to happen. Regardless of what people think of their season, the Heat were 2 games from being NBA champs. While the LeBron-Wade partnering might not be perfect it was not the worst thing ever. Give them one more season before you think about breaking them up.
  • I'm watching the Sounders-Whitecaps replay as I write this. It is a crappy reminder of what a letdown it was. But wow, what a strike and what a reaction by Hassli. Complete confidence.
  • Speaking of the Sounders, if they don't win at Toronto this weekend, I can honestly say they won't win the MLS Cup. Toronto is terrible.
  • Some were feeling for the Minnesota T'wolves after they finished with the worst record in the league and yet again did not win the NBA Draft lottery. Officially they have the 2nd pick, but with the news that 2009 draft pick Ricky Rubio is on his way over, it has to feel like they have two top-3 picks this year. I know Rubio has seen his stock drop a little of late, but I think he has the upside to be better than expected #1 pick Kyrie Irving. Combined with Kevin Love and possibly Derek Williams, Minnesota might finally have something to compete with.
  • The best story of the Stanley Cup Finals has to be Tim Thomas, the once maligned Bruins goalie. Thomas was drafted 217th in the 1994 draft and toiled in the minors and Europe until 2002 when he finally got a shot at the NHL at age 28. He became the Bruins starter four years later in 2006 and won the Vezina Trophy for top NHL goalie in 2009. Yet the following year he was demoted to back-up and did not play a single game in the NHL playoffs. After starting goalie Tuukka Rask then imploded, Thomas was given one last shot at age 37. He got hot and led the team to the Holy Grail of hockey. Thomas played for 9 different teams prior to the Bruins and is a shining example of what can happen if you continue to push towards your goal.
  • I just found out that Sounders midfielder Servando Carrasco has been dating US National Team star Alex Morgan for a few years now. The 21-year old star could potentially be the breakout player at the Women's World Cup this month. I was really impressed with what I saw - good for Servando. I'm a little jealous.
  • Finally, Happy Fathers Day to all those fathers out there who read this blog. I am finding it harder and harder to get some quality time with the computer now that my daughter is more active, but over the next year I am going to try to continue to do what I do...and that is, write a crappy blog while trying to be a good if not great father. We'll see how that goes
[Update: I just read in The Book of Basketball that Jordan scored double digits in 866 consecutive games. Is that not one of the most ridiculous stats you have ever heard? HIs first and only single digit performance for the Bulls was in 1986. His next was in 2001 with the Wizards. Crazy]

1 comment:

  1. Well, if diving means going to the ground when some hack takes out both of your legs from behind as you go by him the , yeah, you dove. He should've been carded.
    -Dlib

    ReplyDelete