Thursday, August 18, 2011

Did Sounders Target Eddie Johnson?

Here is the new development in the whole "Hanauer is a Failure" discussion... Ives won't necessarily confirm anything regarding the Eddie Johnson "Did He-Didn't He Sign" situation, but on twitter he suggested that it was the Sounders who were very interested in bringing him back stateside.

I think if that was the case, then it is another reason why Hanauer shouldn't get killed. I obviously don't know all the inner workings, but I believe that both MLS and Johnson were in the wrong on this one. This how I imagine it went down: Eddie Johnson, in a moment of defeat, decided to return to MLS after seeing Freddy Adu sign with Philly last week. His people approached MLS. They discussed a deal and MLS decided that it was such a sure thing that they would announce it on their website. Johnson never officially agreed to the terms and at the last second decided he wanted more money to come back home. MLS balked and Seattle was screwed.

Again, that is all speculation, but I think it is very very possible given the information we have been given. If this is the case, then it seems that Hanauer worked in good faith and MLS botched the deal.

In a way, I'm not overly upset that Johsnon is not coming back to MLS. I mean, it's 2011, not 2003. Since Johnson left MLS in 2008 he has played for 4 different European teams, scoring 7 goals in 80 games. He is no longer the up-and-coming prospect who scored his first goal at age 17 or the 20 year old that scored 12 goals for FC Dallas in 2004. No, this is the 27 year old version of Eddie Johnson who is no longer in the national team picture and seemingly lost in Europe. I will never have the chance to play professional soccer in either the US or Europe. I get the European soccer is the ultimate goal, but at some point, I think you just need to take what you consider a hit to your ego and come back to MLS. Freddy Adu finally realized that his best chance at making the national team again was to get quality, consistent minutes - something MLS can offer him. Johnson should have jumped at the same opportunity.

And there in lies the reason I am not crying over missing out on Eddie Johnson. If I knew his head was in it...if I knew he wanted to be in MLS and in Seattle, then great, maybe he could work his way back into form and finally become the player we all thought he could be. But at this moment, I don't think he is ready to come back (again, I know nothing and this is all speculation). Assuming that Johnson was one of the players Hanauer was looking at, then it is only fair to reconsider the blame. Again, you can blame Hanauer for not having 15 options or you can give him slack for having his guy signed...and then have it fall through the cracks. Either way, we have to move forward without the "shiny new toy" we were promised.

On a side note, I think we will see a trade within the league once it is assured that Hurtado is back from injury. With the emergence of Zach Scott as a capable center back (poor Taylor Graham who is now 5th on the depth chart), they now have 4 solid options. I know that they have a lot of games, but for some reason, I feel like Pat Ianni and maybe one of the young guys like Estrada or Seamon will get shipped out for a proven MLS goal scorer.

No comments:

Post a Comment