Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Kick in the Pants

I was saddened when I read the news that legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summit was diagnosed with early-stage Dementia-Alzheimer so much that it remained on my mind all day long. In sports we are used to seeing bodies break down. Knees and arms blow out. Bones break. Eventually professional athletes are out of the game by the age of 40. If they are lucky their injuries aren't long-term and they can continue to have a high standard of living.

Occasionally athletes and coaches will learn that they have cancer or some other inoperable disease. No matter who is struck by cancer, it is always a kick in the ass. This for some reaosn feels a little different. I mean, Pat Summit is the BEST at what she does. I can't remember the last time that an athlete or coach of such stature was hit with a such a blow. There are obvious examples - Muhammad Ali, Arthur Ashe, Jim Valvano - but these were mostly before I could comprehend it.

I'm not necessarily a Summit fan, but I have tons of respect for her. She started coaching at age 22 and knows more about the game of basketball than probably 2 other people in history. (Ok, maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but I am comfortable with stating it). Her intense looks on the sidelines have always been frightening to me. It might not be something that I would be into, but she clearly gets results and is respected by all.

So the thought of her suffering from dementia and eventually losing her memory is staggering. I know that we all get old. I know that we all eventually lose our physical and mental abilities, but that isn't supposed to happen until we're in our 80's. Pat Summit is 59. At some point in the near future she is going to lose most of her cognitive ability. At some point she is going to be a shell of the person we watched on the sidelines. I am just really saddened by this for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment