Saturday, August 27, 2011

Lamar Neagle, Everyone

The Sounders have been on a bit of a dream lately. Today was no different as they scored 6 times against the Eastern Conference's best team. I won't go into any sort of in-depth analysis because the fact is we converted on a few breaks and simply dominated the team in yellow. My few observations are as follows:
  • Just an amazing afternoon and for The Wife, a perfect 25 minutes. Three goals. Happy kid. No 6'8" guy standing in front of her.
  • I don't want to brag, but The Kid was simply amazing today. All morning she was talking about the game and in the car she was doing the Seattle....Sounders chant. I came back from paying for parking and she was wearing my hat. I had a feeling it might go well, and did it ever. She had a great time, didn't cry at all when we scored and even tried to participate in the slow clap thingy.
  • If you had told me at the beginning of the season that Lamar Neagle would be starting every other game, I would have been surprised. but if you had told me he would have 5 goals on the season, I would have been shocked. There is no way any of us saw this coming. Kudos for Lamar - I mean, we have all heard how hard he has worked to make it to where he is. That is a quality Seattlites like...add in that he is a local guy and he is quickly becoming a fan favorite (and the only player The Kid knows by name)
  • Fredy Montero didn't score but I thought had an amazing game
  • Can we honestly throw Mauro Rosales to the top of the league MVP race? Seriously, he is the best player on the 2nd best team - a team that was supposed to go no where once Zakuani got hurt.
  • A guy two rows in front of me insisted that he tell the guy in back of him about his FIFA '11 team. He apparently traded Montero for 4 prospects and doesn't even start Fucito. I would have listened more but than I realized that I didn't care. I mean, seriously? NO ONE cares, dude.
  • 13-5-9 in MLS, 2-0 in CCL and a US Open Cup Semifinal. It is starting to really feel like a special year. I am just a little afraid that we are peaking to soon...

4 comments:

  1. To comment on my own post - Arlo just mentioned that Neagle has an Irish passport so he would automatically qualify to play in Europe. If you had put money on hearing the words Lamar Neagle and Europe used in the same sentence you would now be the richest person in the world. Wow, I can't even believe it has come that far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to comment on the fact that Lamar Neagle has an Irish passport when I saw your addendum. I too would be shocked if he ends up playing in Europe, and even more shocked if he ends up lining up at Lansdowne Road singing "Amhrann na bhFiann" with the rest of the boys in green. However, he has a sweet left foot and is progressing along nicely this year so lets take review at the end of the season.

    I also do hope we dont peak too early but with Rosales we definitely have an MVP in our ranks, lets hope he doesnt get injured and I think we are set for a decent playoff run.

    Whats the deal with Sammy Ochoa? Is Siggi just going to recommend signing his best buds? I'm disappointed with this one. Someone "who plays with his back to goal" does not score goals.

    Crazy results in the EPL this weekend, you should ask the guy in front of you at 'the clink' whether he feels better about the United result after seeing them maul Arsenal 8-2 over the weekend. Our new signings look fantastic, and Ashley Young (ala Lamar Neagle) looks a smashing winger. Pity about Welbeck but Rooney is on fire right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Typo, meant Neagle's right foot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To your Wife and the Incident: Yay for a perfect viewing day and none of this "6 people in 3 seats" stuff going on. J$ was going nuts out here as we watched, cheered and waited for Irene!

    ReplyDelete