Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's Only a Fantasy

Ok, I know fantasy success doesn't mean real life success, but I think the following is pretty telling. ESPN's Tristan Cockroft posted the top 250 fantasy players for the 2012 season. As always, I like to see where Wright and Reyes fall (they were 23 and 33 respectively). As I looked for other Mets players, I came across something disturbing - we only had 1 other player (Angel Pagan - 160) ranked in the top 250. Surely that is a bad sign for next year.

So I decided to see if any other team has as few players in the top 250....and here is what I found

14: Atlanta, Texas
13: NY Yankees
12: Tampa Bay
11: Boston, Detroit, LA Angels, Philly
10: Arizona, Milwaukee, Toronto
9: San Fran, Washington
8: Cleveland, KC, LA Dodgers, St Louis
7: Baltimore, Chicago Cubs, Chicago WS, Cincy, Colorado, Florida
6: Oakland
5: Seattle
4: Houston, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, San Diego
3: NY Mets


So there ya go. Even the 106-loss Astros, the Mariners, the Pirates and the Padres have more players ranked in the top 250 than the Mets. Again, I know this doesn't mean anything in terms of real success, but surely it is a bad sign. I mean, Jason Bay is so bad now that there are 250 players ranked higher than him? Geeeesh. I can understand Johan and Ike not being on that list (although I bet they will be a top 250 player by the end of 2012), but wow, no Bay. That is how far he has fallen.

************
In a bit of related news, don't expect any analysis of the MLB playoffs on JerseySounder until both the Phils and Yankees lose. I will be openly rooting for the Brewers and Tigers but I will not be spending a second writing about them.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe Wright is in the top 50. What evidence does this guy have that he's going to return to his pre-beaning form?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to believe some it is due to his position. Not too many 3b out there with Longoria, A-Rod, Ramirez, Sandoval, and Youk having down years.

    Amazingly Wright was the 18th ranked 3b this year and he missed half the year. Bautista was the only 3b in the top 20 and he only played 25 of his 149 games at 3b

    ReplyDelete