Friday, September 2, 2011

Jersey Shore and Other Stuff

The most anticipated episode of the Jersey Shore aired right about the same time Hurricane Irene was pummeling New Jersey last week - I can't believe it was merely a coincidence. Anyways, I didn't get to see it, but got the impression from all those in FB land that the fight between Ronnie and Sitch was disappointed. I finally got to see it last night and I have to agree - it was a total letdown. However, even with that, I think this had to be one of the better episodes I have seen in a long time. How about a list to best break it down
  • I can't even look at Jenny anymore. Besides being so skinny, she did something to her face and simply looks like Skeletor. What happened to the girl that we see on the credits? She has not only changed her looks, but she is no longer a praying mantis - she is clearly sanest woman in the house. You've changed J-Woww.
  • Seeing Sitch in a neckbrace and sunglasses with a tear streaming down his face is one of the better reality moments of all time. I mean, it was classic.
  • I can't believe we are STILL watching this whole Ronnie-Sammi thing. Look, I don't know how scripted this whole thing is, but assuming that it is a bit scripted, we must be really stupid. I mean, the fighting is so ridiculous. I am over it and have been for 2 seasons...I imagine that is how everyone else looks at it, and yet JS is enjoying some of its highest ratings ever. Ugghhh, stupid Americans.
  • After they broke up again, Sammi put all the stuff that Ronnie gave her on his bed. He then proceeds to throw it away. What does Sammi do? She takes it out of the trash! That is just classic stuff right there. I mean, first off, she went dumpster diving. Second, how does that make her seem like a bigger person (like she claimed?) Let the stuff be in the trash - don't wimper back and get it! Come on, girl.
  • I can't believe she is the only true Jersey girl on the show. I want to like you, I do...
  • Vinnie and Paulie D remain my favorites. They alone are the reason I watch (well, this season at least since there are no flyover shots of the shore and boardwalk)
  • The Deena/Sammi commercials keep on getting worse (and by that, I mean better)
  • I enjoyed when Paulie almost got into a fight in the club and the guys were saying "you're in the streets of Florence" almost like they knew who they were (although I guess you have to sense something is up when you have a camera crew around you).
  • Speaking of camera crew, was that the first time we saw them on Jersey Shore?
  • I just don't get what Ronnie was thinking with the flowers. Seriously, how did you think that was going to be a good idea?
  • Ok, I couldn't go through the whole list without actually talking about the fight...how fitting is it that Sitch (who by the way is coming off as a huge creep after endearing himself to some people with his appearances on ESPN and DWTS) got hurt by a wall? I mean, the guy is so fake that he couldn't even get knocked out by a real dude.
  • Kudos to MTV for promoting the hell out of a fight that barely even happened. I should be pissed, but hey, they did what they needed to do. The fight may have been a bust, but overall a great episode.

Ok, now on to the Mets...
  • With the win last night, Miguel Batista won his 100th game. He is now 40 years old with a 100-112 lifetime record and is on his 11th major league team. Amazing that he lasted that long.
  • Since returning from the DL, Wright is hitting .314 with 28 rbi in 37 games. That is a pace of 114 over the course of a full 162 game season. It is only 1/4 of the season, but bodes well for him moving forward.
  • The deal to sell a minority share of the team is now off and some people are wondering how this will effect the re-signing of Reyes. Ultimately, I don't think it has anything to do with it as I'm convinced that Sandy Alderson is already set into a specific payroll for next year regardless of whether new funds were trickling in. It is going to be tough - as metsblog.com has pointed out, in Santana ($24m), Bay ($17m) and Wright ($15m) they already have $55 on their books for next year. Signing Reyes to a hometown discount of $15m for next year would bring the payroll to $70 meaning the rest of the team would operate on $30m-$40m. I know we have a lot of young players with nice contracts, but it will be tough to put together a competitive team considering our young pitching is still 1-2 years away from making it to the big leagues. Einhorn backing out of the deal will have nothing to do with whether Reyes re-signs...in fact, it will be the terrible contracts given to Santana (ok, not terrible at the time) and Bay that will go a long way in determing if he does come back.

Finally, I have been feeling a little bored with sports during the week recently...it almost certainly has to do with the fact that it is August and the Mets being 5 games under .500. While the weekday sports slate won't really be picking up until the NHL starts in a month or two, I am excited to have college and pro football to add to my weekend feast of EPL and MLS. Not sure I can find time for them all, but will certainly give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment