Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Morning Five-Pack

I have five things I want to talk about this morning, so let's not waste any time.
  • For me right now, all weekends start and end with the Sounders. After a disapointing loss at home mid-week (in what really was a terrible game to watch), the club rebounded with a 3-1 win at Vancouver to win the Cascadia Cup. First off, the game was really exciting to watch. I know it is easy to say considering we won, but regardless of the score, there was a lot of end to end stuff with a lot of open space. A few things in particular stood out.

    First, it's games like that when we are all reminded how special a player Fredy Montero is and can be. I have been saying for a month that he has been playing really well - problem was he wasn't scoring in league play, so there seemed to be no payoff. However, with Mauro out and the team seemingly needing a leader, he stepped up with two big goals for the win. I noted to The Wife that he even looks happier this year - I don't remember any of those sulking moments that he had in the past when he wasn't the one scoring. I know that doesn't mean much, but I think it goes to show how close this team is right now.

    Second, we escaped with no injuries to our currently fragile midfield. With both Rosales and Friberg out with injuries and both Evans and Alonso nursing minor ones, things were feeling pretty dicey. I was surprised to see Sigi keep Evans out there for the full 90 considering his recent injury, but this time it worked. I can only guess that he won't be playing B-Rad on Tuesday night and instead will be counting on El Flaco, who was subbed out by Darid Estrada (!), to go the full 90.

    Third, I think we found our Nate Jaqua replacement. I know that Sammy Ochoa hasn't actually score in his first two appearances, but that was by luck alone. On Tuesday he was denied by a world class save and Saturday he was denied by the post. If he is able to get to at least one header a game he is going to be scoring some goals. You just don't put those quality shots on without them going in. His continued emergence HAS to spell the end of Big Nate's time in rave.

    Finally, I really think this Vancouver team could be good next year. Even though they both had forgettable games, I think the forward pair of Eric Hassli and Mustapha Jarju could become one of the top units in the league. In Camilo and David Chumiento they also have great quality....but it's that defense that is going to kill them. One place to start would be to find someone of the Alonso/Mastroeni/Joseph to sure of the center of the field defensively. The next step would be to get some outside backs who can actually man mark. Final would be to stop making bad mistakes (Jay DeMerit, anyone?). Bottom line - more quality is needed...remember, Pate Vagenas got the start for them
  • On to the Huskies, who improved to 3-1 with a 31-23 win over at Cal. I don't know where this season is going to go, but I can say one thing - there is never going to be a dull game. I mean, their defense is terrible and their offense looks to be actually pretty good. Keith Price may end up having one of the best seasons in UW history (dare I say it, but he is making us quickly forget Jake) but as long as they keep on giving up 400 yards passing they will never be able to get to the next level.

    Next week is going to be a key game. If they can get the win at Utah they will with all likelihood be at 5-1 when they make the trip to Palo Alto (assuming of course that we don't shit the bed against Colorado at home the week before). At 5-1, even if we were to lose all 4 games to Stanford, Zona, USC and Oregon, we could still end the season with 7 wins with OSU and WSU last on the schedule. Games against teams of similar strength are the really important ones because they can mean the difference between going to a bowl game and staying home.

    oh, one more thing - that Seferian-Jenkins kid appears to be the real deal.


  • I really had hoped the Mets could have won yesterday because I could come in this morning and say how we swept the Phils and helped them lose their 8th straight. Unfortunately we had Mike Pelfrey on the mound against Roy Halladay - we never had a chance. Pelfrey has been terrible this year. Their is no doubt about it. Instead of leaving us with something to be hopeful about, he went out and through another dreadful game. I have defended him in the past because of his stuff, but he simply doesn't appear to have the mental stuff to make it in NY.
  • On to the NFL where the Bills and Lions are definitely the best stories of the season. Of the two however, I think the Lions have the better chance to make the playoffs. For me, it simply comes down to their division. I don't want to take anything away from the Bears because they are a decent team, but the Lions have Chicago and the defending champs in their division - the Bills have the Jets and Pats. I can accept the Lions being the second best team in the NFC north, but I can't accept the Bills being the second best team in the AFC East. I think the Bills were a little fortunate yesterday. Up to now, the Pats had no equal on offense, but their defense was almost as bad as the Huskies. Well, they encountered a team that could not only put points on the board, but they turned the ball over 4 times to help them put points on the board. Tom Brady had a rare bad game and the rest of the team couldn't get the job done.

    The one thing that bothers me about the Lions though is the lack of a running game. They had 20 yards on 19 carries yesterday(!). At some point, that is going to come back to bite them in the ass.
  • Finally, a note on soccer with The Incident. It was really really fun. I did not feel competitive for a second (I made sure not to be That Guy who was decked out in full soccer gear) and I just loved being able to run around with her. I am excited for next Saturday.
One final note- with the NBA locked out, I am hoping the NHL sees a huge influx of viewers. I know personally I am more excited about the season simply because I have more time to focus on it. Opening night for the Devils is Oct 8 - less than two weeks away. I can feel the excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment