Monday, September 26, 2011

Rooting for the Choke

My buddy used to have a t-shirt that said "My two favorite teams are the Mets and whoever plays the Yankees." It is a motto I have pretty much lived my life by. So for the past decade that has meant I have supported the Red Sox. I mean, nothing hurts Yankees' fans more than seeing them lose to Boston.

By all means, I support the Sox because I know they are the team every year that has the best chance of beating the Yankees in the playoffs (even though amazingly they have not met in the postseason since 2004). This year I figured it was no different. With the additions of Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford and a rotation that was the deepest in the league, they were the odds on favorites to win the World Series. After jumping out to a miserable 2-10 start, they won 59 of their next 86 game to take a 3 game lead in the division. As late as Aug 31, they were still in first place by 1/2 games.

Then the unthinkable happened. The Sox went 6-18 in September and lost an 9 game lead over the Tampa Bay Rays. With two games left in the season, they are tied for the Wild Card lead. Their slide has been remarkable and to be perfectly honest, I am kind of hoping it keeps up. I have nothing against the Sox, I just want them to take the title away from the 2007 Mets as the biggest chokers in MLB history. Sure, the Mets may have lost a 7 game lead with 17 left, but that team was not as good as the current Red Sox team. When the Mets choked they were a .572 team...the Red Sox were a .614 team and one of the favorites to win the whole thing.

I know the Sox making the playoffs might mean the Yanks have a better chance at winning, but I feel numb to the whole thing right now. I mean, in my opinion their is a 75% chance that either the Phils or Yanks win the whole thing...so if that is going to happen, why not have someone join us in our misery??

Mets fans, tell me if I'm wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment