Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Take Nothing for Granted

Last night in CONCACAF Champions League action, LA had a 1-0 lead as late as the 81st minute before losing on the road Morelia 2-1 while Colorado got spanked at home by Santos Laguna 4-1. So much for MLS being undefeated in CCL play (in matches including at least 1 non-MLS team of course)...and so much for feeling invincible heading into the Sounders home tilt against Herediano of Costa Rica. Obviously what LA and Colorado do have no impact on us, but it does help to remind me that nothing should be taken for granted. Just because we are in first place after 4-1 and 1-0 wins over Communicaciones and Monterrey, it doesn't mean tonight's game is going to be a cakewalk. Let's remember, we went 1-5 last year in CCL and looked thoroughly outclassed. I put a positive spin on the experience noting that we were up to the challenge but not quite ready to win. The truth is that Mexican and Central American teams have success in this competition against MLS squads because they match up differently then other league opponents, because the atmosphere is like none seen in the US and because, well, they are good squads. Just because Herediano is 0-2 in group play doesn't mean they aren't able to put a 3-0 whooping on us.

I'm not saying I don't have confidence anymore, I'm just saying, let's be careful tonight, boys.

Ok, so with that out of the way, what should we expect? Well, we know the following: Herediano has hired a new coach in the past week. Over the weekend they won their league game 4-0. The players are hungry to show that they belong in the squad. We also know that Alonso, Evans and Friberg all did not travel.

According to SounderAtHeart, they are going to go with a conservative side to start and then bring in offensive firepower when (if) needed. It's a strategy similar to what Sigi employed in Monterrey and one that I think can be successful, unless of course we give up an early goal and let the crowd get into it. I expect Kasey to be in goal because of the importance of the game. Some may point to it and say that we still have 4 games to get 4 points, but I think this might be the most important game of the group stage simply because we will be able to change our strategy moving forward if we get a full 3. Think about it, if we leave Costa Rica with a 3-0 record, then over the course of the next 3 games (2 at home) we can give Josh Ford, Amadou Sanyang, Taylor Graham and maybe even Sammy Ochoa a start. We can rest the likes of Keller, Rosales, Montero, Alonso and have them fresh for the MLS season. Bottom line: this is an important game, so Kasey should and will be in goal (oh, and I expect him to have forgotten about his gaffe on Saturday).

As for the rest of the team, I am ok with having Jaqua and Noonan on the field at the same time. I know people hate them and I know they are not exciting, but I trust them not to lose the game for us. They are steady if not spectacular. As for the midfield, we will probably need to start Flaco in front of Carrasco and have Neagle and Levesque on the wings. It's not perfect, but I don't think we can start a Carrasco-Sanyang combo. The defense should be fine with Hurtado, Leo, Riley and maybe Pat Ianni in the lineup. Then if for some reason we need a goal, we can bring in Rosales, Montero and Fucito to create some havoc up front.

I'm not in the business of making predictions, but I think 1-1 would be a fair result. Obviously we are capable of getting the win, but I just see something not going our way: an unlucky bounce, a referreeing mistake or an injury are all very likely. Hopefully nothing will happen and I can go into my Jersey trip feeling great about the men in rave.

Come On, You Sounders

No comments:

Post a Comment