Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Two Bad Losses

It's times like this when I realize why no one reads this blog: that's right, a post not just dedicated to American soccer, but to the WNBA! I can hear the excitement right now.

Anyways, it's been a rough couple of days for local sports teams. First, there was a shutout loss by the Seahawks on Sunday. I make no comments on this because every time I do, I get accused of being "unfair" towards the 'Hawks. So I am going to wait until they start 0-6 before commenting. The following day, the defending WNBA champions Seattle Storm blew a 17 point second quarter lead at home (a place they have only lost 2 times in the previous 39 games) to the Phoenix Mercury (a team they had beaten in 11 of their last 13).

It was a startling loss - one I couldn't believe when The Wife told me. I mean, blowing a 18 point surely meant that they lost their cool along the way...turns out, I was right. The team couldn't handle the physicality of the game and wilted under the pressure.

There is no way that this should have happened. They steamrolled through the league, finishing with a 35-6 record (including 7-0 in the playoffs). They lost no one in the offseason (unlike 2004 when they lost 2/5 of their starting lineup) and actually brought in one of the top 10 players in league history - Katie Smith - to help with the long stretches of offensive ineffectiveness. Now I'm sure that the reason they ultimately did not repeat was lack of urgency, complacency and ego...but I'm going to blame it on Smith. Call me crazy, but from day 1 in the Storm lineup, I thought Smith just didn't fit. I only watched a few games this season, but every time I did, she was throwing up shots. Hell, maybe that's what she has always done, but not what we needed on this team. The fact that she played 30 minutes and went 0-9 from the field on Monday (0-6 3-pt) is no coincidence - I think she let this team down. [Ok, ok, ok...losing LJ for 2 months didn't help - she was never the same all season]

It was a terrible, terrible, terrible loss. There is no other way around it.

Now on to Tuesday, where the Sounders lost 1-0 to Herediano of Costa Rica (or Guatemala according to Tony Ventrella). It was not an entirely inspiring performance and one that I think could come back to bite them in the ass. I found out after the match that due to Monterrey's win against Communicaciones that even had the Sounders won, they would not have clinched a spot. So really, the loss isn't that huge...but I still can't help but feel uneasy about it. Look at their final two fixtures - on the road in Guatemala and then home against the defending CCL champions, a hungry, pissed-off Monterrey team. It is entirely possible that we finish 3-3 and miss out on the knockout stage, so even a point would have been nice last night.

I understand that Hurtado and Keller were the only full-time starters in the first 11 last week. I understand that Sigi had his hands time with respect to who was available. I understand that the team has heavy legs. I get it, I really do. I just know how easier the next few weeks would be had we been able to rest our starters in the final 2 group stage games. I only hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

I won't say it was a terrible loss...it was just a terrible game to watch. Herediano scored a beautiful early goal and then killed time for 50 minutes. I thought Fredy Montero looked great and I thought Sammy Ochoa was a bright spot, but overall, the game was just a letdown.

The boys have a big one this weekend against Vancouver - we owe them one after their miracle 2-2 tie earlier in the year. Come on you Sounders!

1 comment:

  1. Part of the readership problem is that as one of your more frequent readers, I hate the NBA and by extension the WNBA. They could have absolutely no connection. I would not know. Didn't stay up late to watch the Sounders, so I don't really know what went wrong there. Sigi has got us this far, but I would have thought more A-teamers would have been out there.

    -East Coast JWill

    ReplyDelete