Tuesday, October 25, 2011

25th Anniversary of Buckner

Today is the 25th anniversary of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. I got hit heavy with some flu last night so I stayed at home today resting...ESPN Classic actually had the game on, so I watched a bit when not sleeping.

The biggest takeaway is how different everything is in 2011 than it was in 1986. That sounds like an obvious comment, but wow, the technology difference is ridiculous. In 1986, if you weren't at the game, the only way to know what was going on live was to watch on tv or listen to the radio. Now you can follow along on the internet, get updates from people at the game via text and Facebook, watch the game live on your hand-held device or watch it on a 70" LCD tv. (I know I am forgetting some) Oh, and turn in mid game and want to know the score, count and inning? Well, you're gonna have to wait because it was not plastered on the screen like it is today. Nope, you have to listen to the announcer or wait for the producer to put up the count in big bold letters towards the bottom of the screen in between pitches.

I certainly felt like a caveman watching the game, but to be honest, it was kind of nice. Today we are inundated with information on a real time basis. Sometimes it is nice to take a trip back to simpler days and realize why we loved baseball so much.

After having said that, here are some other random comments about the game:
  • Mustaches. I counted at least 5 for the Red Sox: Boggs, Buckner, Evans, Henderson, Rice. They were all thick and bushy
  • Lack of power. The Mets started Lenny Dykstra(1), Wally Backman(2), Mookie Wilson(7) and Rafael Santana(8). In comparisno, had they made the playoffs in 2011 (assuming Carlos Beltran was not traded) they would have hit Jose Reyes, Justin Turner, Angel Pagan and Josh Thole in those same spots. Obviously I would rather have the former lineup, but it's not like they were gonna hit it out of the park.
  • Do you know who led the Mets in batting with RISP in 1986? Scroll down for answer.
  • You forget what a physical specimen Daryl was until you see him play again. Dude was 6'6" and yet stole 28 bases on the year and hit 27 home runs
  • Vin Scully called the game. I must say I very much enjoyed the experience. In just the little that I heard, you could tell that he was a master of his craft. He was very subtle and subdued, but was amazing at painting a picture and getting his points across.
  • I love the Mets Bat Boys with the number 86 and their first name on the back. I think Mike did a better job than Paul.
  • It's strange watching old games knowing where the players careers would go. Clemens was on the mound and had great powerful stuff. Gooden pitched Game 5 and obviously had amazingly powerful stuff. i wonder who you would have thought would have the better career in 1986...well, we all know where they ended. Clemens won 300+ games and was considered one of the 10 best until the steroid charges hit. Gooden got into some hardcore drugs and was out of the game by 2000. He won 154 games across his first 10 seasons and 40 over his last 5.
  • Both teams combined for 5 errors in the game.
  • Replica jerseys were not very common in 1986. Instead, Mets fans had those awesome blue satin Starter jackets. They are classic and really a part of my definition of what it means to be a Mets fan.
  • Also, a big trend were those blue plastic bag undershirts that some of the guys, most notably 1st base coach bill Robinson wore under their jerseys...anyone have a clue what I am talking about?
  • I'm sorry, I know I'm probably a homer, but you cannot equal the atmosphere of Shea Stadium when the team was winning. That crowd in 1986 was amazing.
  • I remember Roger McDowell as a goofball, but the guy could pitch. He had crazy stuff, and one of the greater statlines I have seen. In 196 he appeared in 75 games and pitched 128 innings, going 14-9 with 22 saves. NO ONE does that anymore.
  • Wade Boggs hit leadoff for the Red Sox. That is strange to me...any idea if it was common?
  • Finally, the most sobering thing - it has been 25 years since the Mets won the World Series. I know the Cubs, Mariners and Expos have had longer, but it is starting to feel like I might never seen another in the next 25 years (or in my life, but that is a little tooo dramatic)
Oh, and the answer from above. Danny Heap hit .404 with RISP in 1986 to lead the team. Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment