Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Feeling Nervous and Excited

Tonight, thanks to the amazing generosity of my boy Irish Mike, I will be watching the Sounders go for their third straight US Open Cup in the comfort of a suite. It will be the first time in my entire life that I will have this honor. Needless to say, I am so incredibly stoked for the match.

BUT and this is a potentially big BUT, I am really really nervous about the game. Let's count the reasons:
  1. While I don't think Chicago is necessarily a good team, they are a team that is in great form, going 5-1-3 in their last 9 MLS games (including 3-1-0 since beating Richmond to qualify for the USOC Finals).
  2. They have nothing to lose and everything to play for. They aren't going to make the playoffs, so this is their MLS Cup Final. They are going to be fired up.
  3. We might have to start Zach Scott at right back. He won't be able to contain Dom Oduro.
  4. Everyone in the country is hoping the Sounders lose. No one wants to hear us brag about another trophy. No doubt Klopas is painting us as the bad guys and imploring his guys to silence our crowd and send us home unhappy.
  5. We have lived a dream these past 3 years. Something bad HAS to happen, right? (or is that just the Mets fan in me...)
In sum, they could lead to a long night. However, I am trying to put that all aside and remember that this is a damn good team with a damn good coach. Their current form is as good as if not better than Chicago. They have veteran leadership that will not let the team overlook Chicago. They have a goalie who will want another Cup before he retires. They have the support of more than 30,000 fans.

My emotions are all over the place. I don't know what to think and feel. I just hope that they get the job done tonight and send us home happy. I would LOVE to see Kasey lift the trophy one last time.

****
On a side note, J-Will, wish you were here kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment