Thursday, October 20, 2011

Internal Conflict

I was walking through the airport today when I saw some guys wearing green warm-up jackets with fluorescent yellow stripes. First 2 guys, then 5, then about 15. As I walked by one, I saw a Portland Timbers backpack and said to myself, hmmm, I wonder if this is their reserve team or something. I mean, surely it couldn't be their first team. And then I walked by Kenny Cooper and Sal Zizzo. I walked some more and I saw coach John Spencer and owner Merrett Paulson.

Suddenly I didn't know what to do. Generally I act like a 12-year old when it comes to celebrity sightings, especially when those celebrities are athletes. Part of me wanted to go up to one of them and have a chat. I mean, I'm sure they would appreciate being recognized as long as I wasn't invading their space. As a lifelong soccer player, I respect those that can play the game at the highest level. But these weren't just any professional soccer players. ..these were the hated Portland Timbers. There was no way I could go up to any of them to say hi. I dislike them too much to do so. I would be disrespecting not only myself, but the Sounders and all Sounders fans. So I didn't approach them.

But don't think it was an easy decision. I mean these guys do something for a living that I envy. I tried to think if there was anyway I could do it without feeling terrible afterwards. I tried to think if any of them played on the National Team - I could have justified chatting with them if they wore the stars and stripes (like for example, Landycakes), but no dice. No reason to talk to them.

Once I realized that I couldn't chat with them on a friendly basis, I then started to think about antagonizing them. Was I wearing any Sounders stuff or did I have any Sounders stuff? I did! I had my Sounders scarf with me....and then i realized what an ass I would be if I walked part them holding it in the air. So I didn't. Instead, I just looked from afar and called The Wife and J-Will.

I can give you three bits of information.
  1. John Spencer is literally 5'3". Now I know why he has such a large personality.
  2. Darlington Nagbe and another unknown player were in front of me online at McDonalds. He ordered a Medium Strawberry shake.
  3. Troy Perkins and Cooper were in front of one of my co-workers on lineat the gift shop. He is a sports fan, but when asked if he could provide me with any info on what they bought, he told he didn't know because he didn't care. Apparently MLS soccer isn't his thing (or he isn't insane like me).
So there ya go, that's my story of internal conflict and how I can sit on the plane and feel good about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment