Friday, October 28, 2011

It's Been a Damn Good Year

The next two games will go a long way in determining whether the 2011 Sounders campaign was a success. It is sad to say considering the regular season success we have had, but if we flame out again in the first round of the MLS Playoffs, there will be a bitter taste left in our mouth. There is no way around it. So I wanted to take the time to write my review of the regular season prior to the playoffs as a reminder of just how great this season has been.

In terms of those on the field, I'm not even sure where to start, so I am going to start by giving Sigi his due. While I certainly respected the job that he did in his first two years in Seattle, I could never get around his love of Pete Vagenas. It was really such a small thing - I mean, Vagenas while not flashy certainly a capable player - but I just never understood why he got playing time over some younger guys who simply lacked experience. I also was dumbfounded how Seba LeToux could go from being a 1 goal guy for us in 2009 to MVP candidate for Philly in 2010 and 2011. Add in his terribly boring press conferences and I just started to have a bad taste in my mouth...well, that all went away this year as I have finally seen his worth. While he might not be the best tactical guy, his team management has been amazing. He was able to integrate the likes of Roger Levesque, Zach Scott, Pat Noonan, Servanda Carrasco and Nate Jaqua into the squad and not have it affect there success in any competition. Not only did they win the US Open Cup, but they finished 2nd in MLS and made it out of their Champions League group. Did I also mention that they were the highest scoring team in the league and the 4th stingiest team in the league? Did I also mention that they Blaise N'kufo, Steve Zakuani and O'Brian White within the first month of the season?? Ummm, yeah, I'm sorry Arena, but I think Sigi HAS to get the nod as coach of the year.

I want to also give some kudos to Adrian Hanauer for building this team. I know a lot of fans are still mad at him for not picking up a big name striker at the transfer deadline, but the fact remains that this team led the league in goals (56 from 15 different scorers(!)) AND they did it without the aforementioned trio of NKufo, Zakuani and White. I also know that a lot of fans are upset at the salaries that Jaqua, Evans and Noonan are carrying around, but he has made it work. Part of it is due to the professionalism of the USL Sounders - Scott, Levesque and Graham (ok, Taylor has never made the field, but I wanted to give him some credit) - for earning close to minimum salary. Part of it is due to Kasey Keller taking less money to play another year in Seattle. Part of it was luck (see Rosales, Mauro). All reasons combined, he has put together a team that not only can compete for the MLS title, but one that is deep enough to be successful in multiple competitions.

Ok, on to the field players, because ultimately they are ones who are respibsible for wins and losses. There is no better place to start than with the guy who retiring at the end of the year. I'm not normally in the 'goalie is the most important position on the field' camp, but it's hard to argue that Kasey Keller has not been the most important player for the Sounders over the past 3 years. A few howlers aside, Keller has been pretty amazing for a 40 year old. In 2011 he led the league in wins (18) and save percentage (76%) and was third in goals against average (1.09) for all keepers who played in more than 20 games. The most important think Kasey has brought however, is his leadership. He demands so much respect and accountability from his teammates and I could really see this team lifting the Cup simply as a homage to Keller.

From there, I think you have to talk about the continued development of both Fredy Montero and Ozzie Alonso. It is strange to say that considering Fredy's consistent scoring touch (12-10-12) over his first 3 years, but seriously, he is a completely different player this year than last. No one has ever doubted his talent, but this year he has mentally and emotionally matured to the point where he won't disappear if he doesn't score for 5 games. Even when he was in his dry spell early in the season, I was saying how well he has been playing. To point, in addition to being tied for 5th in goals, he was tied for 5th in assists. As for Alonso, their is not enough space or time to write about my love. He continues to be the backbone of the team and now has shown that he can contribute offensively. He has been a beast and I love him. (btw - I think both players will get looks from Europe this off-season, but I think they are both back for 2012).

The biggest surprise has of course been Mauro Rosales, aka "The Trialist". For those who don't know his story, it goes as such. Rosales, a former gold-medal winning M from Argentina who played for both Ajax and River Plate, found himself out of a job when his Mexican club Quetara FC in February. The club reports that he was hurt. Rosales contends that the team signed too many foreign players and thus were trying to save face by saying that he was hurt. His agent, former FC Dallas keeper Dario Sala, steered him towards MLS and specifically Seattle. The Sounders had minimal money to offer but somehow convinced him that this was the place he wanted to be. During the pre-season he joined the team under the moniker The Trialist (the team didn't want any other teams to find out about him) and instantly became a crowd favorite because of his work ethic. Once he became game fit, he became even more a favorite because well...he is awesome! For two years I have prayed that we could find a Latin American playmaker ala Javier Morales and David Ferriera and finally we got him. He brings something to this team that has never been seen before - vision and creativity. I am absolutely stoked thinking about him playing on the same pitch as both Montero AND Zakuani next year. Oh man, it is going to be nice.

Ok, in order not to spend entire paragraphs talking each player (and in order not to have a few more terrible transitions), I offer the following bullet points.
  • The most underrated player on the team remains Jeff Parke. I wasn't a huge fan of his at first because of the contract demands, but he has been well worth every penny we are giving him. He has been really great all season and definitely deserves a invitation to the US National Camp later this year.
  • It is great to have El Presidente back. He was a little shaky at first, but has really come on as of late. He is not the best with the ball at his feet, but I think he is an excellent man marker. Together he and Parke have been rock solid.
  • Tyson Wahl has been a nice surprise. I never thought I would feel comfortable with him as a starter, but he deserves to be playing over Leo.
  • James Riley has quietly had another solid season, so much so that Irish Mike is no longer killing him.
  • Zach Scott, The Cich's (formerly known as The Wife) second favorite player, has filled an important role. I don't like him at right back, but he stepped in nicely at center back when needed. Regardless of what you think of him as a player, he continues to be an inspiration for all those who have ever been told that they can't play.
  • El Flaco continues to wow me with some of his moves, but I would like to see him become a little more consistent. I am not hating on him in any sense of the word, but I simply think he has a HUGE upside that I would like to see fulfilled in Seattle.
  • Lamar Neagle is definitely the best story of the season. There is no way anyone could have imagined he would score 1 goal, let alone 5 (especially the game winner against RSL or the hat trick against Columbus). While he really cannot be compared to Zakunai, he did provide the team with much needed pace and his motor never stops running.
  • I am really excited about Sammy Ochoa and have been so since seeing his first two games (when he didn't score). I think he is a massive upgrade over Jaqua and hope he will be the best under-the-radar pickup of the year.
  • I like Mike Fucito. He creates a lot of chances, but I would like to see him convert more in MLS play. I think this could be the guy who we lose to Montreal should we not protect him.
  • Nate Jaqua continues to be on the roster. I was a defender in 2009 and 2010, but after his play this year, I can't say I am in his corner anymore. He has been bad and his salary is killing us.
  • Terry Boss is athletic and got some more playing time this year, but wow, he can be brutal at times. I like him as a back-up but don't think he can be considered a starter.
  • Pat Noonan filled a role but should be gone.
  • Eric Friberg and Brad Evans basically do the same thing, but Friberg is alittle more flashy and Evans is a little more dreamy. I continue to like Brad even though I know all of his warts. I assume he will be left available in the Expansion Draft and wonder if Montreal would indeed take a chance on him.
  • Roger is Roger. I love him, but only in limited doses. He is a great part of this team's identity.
  • Finally, a few words on some of the other guys. Servando Carrasco is dating Alex Morgan and has to control his bad tackles. David Estrada has shown some flashes of capability. Michael Tetteh is no where close to seeing the pitch. Josh Ford and Bryan Meredith both have upside but we are a few years from knowing their ceiling.
So yeah, I don't have many negative comments about this team. It has been an amazing year, not just from results, but from style of play. I leave 90% of the games with a huge smile on my face and really really really love this team. Considering that they are in their 3rd season AND that the league is growing, such success has been a blessing. I hope that they can continue their form and march forward into the Western Conference Final. If they don't...well, then I hope I can continue to realize how great this season has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment