Monday, December 5, 2011

Feels Like a Slap in the Face

So Jose Reyes is no longer batting leadoff for the New York Mets. He is no longer with the only franchise he has known since he was 17. He is now the newest signing of the newly named, newly rich Miami Marlins.

I had a feeling this day would come, and at times I even suggested that I would be ok with it. I feel like I have said it so many times - the Mets were in a shitty situation with Reyes. If he re-signed, his next tenure was bound to be destroyed by injuries. If he left, his tenure with his new team was bound to be highly successful. Simply put, we were damned if we do, damned if we don't.

But now that I sit here knowing that Reyes is officially leaving Flushing, I can't help but be a little sad. Not only does this symbolize the end of a once promising era, but it pretty much signifies the start of our rebuilding process. I thought that we could possibly win 80 games in 2012 and 2013...but now I think we are headed for 65 wins over the next two years (at least). Oh, and I think we trade David Wright. I know Sandy said that Reyes' status did not affect Wright's status, but come on...it obviously does.

I understand that this fan base, which can be hot and cold with players, had it's low moments with Jose Reyes. I understand that he might have been frustrated with the fans and I fully believe that players don't owe anything to the fans, but this just feels like a slap in the face. Jose, it's ok that you wanted to get paid, but to go to the Marlins, an inter-division team, is just insulting. I get that they have a new stadium and new direction. I get that Miami is close to the Caribbean, but come on. The Mets gave you the opportunity to make it to the big leagues. The Mets stuck with you when you were constantly hurt. The Mets were willing to pay you pretty decent money...and yet, it wasn't good enough. You went to the Marlins. the only worse teams would have been the Phils, Yanks and Braves. Come on, Jose.

No comments:

Post a Comment