Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The World Might End

I can't believe I am writing this, but I am officially in love not only with Tim Tebow, but (GULP!) Cam Newton as well. As many of you know, I am a NFL Fan Free Agent. My early life was spent loving Phil Simms and the NY Giants. After a few years of the Dave Brown experience (and seeing Simms break down physically) I decided to jump ship and go with an expansion team, the Carolina Panthers. There have been some really tough times over the years (1-15 in 2001 with the amazing Chris Weinke under center!), but I have been faithful. Last year was a little different though. The anti-Christ himself, Jimmy Clausen started 10 games, winning 1 and compiling a 58.4 rating. Johnathon Stewart and DeAngelo Williams combined for 3 rushing td's, Steve Smith led the team with 554 receiving yards and Julius Peppers was making the Pro Bowl for the Bears. In addition to having no favorite players on the team and living 4000+ miles away fantasy football has made me not care. It has affected me in ways I never expected - I now root for players from different teams and no longer have a favorite franchise.

So I officially cut ties with Carolina. Then in April when they drafted Cam Newton, I knew I made the right choice...I mean, come on, I really really disliked Cam Newton during his time in Auburn. Not only did I not believe that he was that good, but he just seemed really smug. I'm not sure what it was about him - he just was really unlikable.

Now fast forward 8 months and I officially am sold on Newton. I'm sure it's only because I own him in one of my fantasy leagues, but wow, he is totally an amazing player. Unlike other QB's who used their legs to win games in college, Newton has actually carried over that success to the pros. It is crazy, but somehow Newton is not only a threat with his legs, but he has a cannon for an arm. The dude is a freak - 6'5", 248 pounds and he can run a 4.59 40-yard. On the season he has thrown for 3573 yards and 15 td's (vs 16 int's), but has an amazing 13 rushing td's. I can't remember when the press conference was, but when asked who was the goal line back, head coach Ron Rivera emphatically stated it would be Cam Newton - not the 'franchise' RB who they had just re-signed in the offseason for $43 million or the 235 pound beast who had 10 td's in both 2008 and 2009. Nope, not DeAngelo Williams or Jon Stewart. Cam Newton was the goal line back. Rivera blatantly told teams his strategy, but yet he has 6 td's over the past 4 games. I kind of wish I hadn't cut my ties...until I realize how bad this team is. Then I remember that I can continue to like Newton from afar and not have to be a Panthers fan.

Then, there is the growing legend known as Tim Tebow. I recently wrote about him after the Detroit game, saying that I needed a few more weeks of amazing comebacks before I fully converted to the Church of Tebow. Well, after this past Sunday's game against Chicago, I am a believer. I turned the game off with 5 minutes left and Denver losing 10-0 to Chicago. There was NO WAY Denver was coming back. I went over to a family party and my brother-in-law tells me that they won. Somehow Tebow led them down the field for a td with 2 minutes left. Then after some poor clock management by Chicago, Matt Prater hit a 59 yard FG to tie and then a 51 yard FG to win it in OT. A lot of people will credit the Denver D. Some will credit Prater for crushing two clutch FG's. Some will blame Marion Barber. Me? I am officially giving credit to Tebow. Tebow has made a pact with GOD and has turned the 1-4 Broncos into a division winning 8-5 team. How else can you explain it? Through the first 55 minutes on Sunday, Tebow completed 8 of 24 passes for 106 yards. Then on the final 3 drives he went 13-16 for 130 yards and 1 td. How is it possible to suck that long and then all of a sudden pull something out of your ass? It is not humanly possible. There has to be some sort of divine intervention.

So there ya have it - I love Tim Tebow and Cam Newton. The world might be coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment