Friday, April 23, 2010

AL is better than NL

I'm an NL guy through and through. I think the style of play is better and there is more strategy involved. I hate that in the AL you can get at-bats without having to play the field. Oh, and that pitchers can throw at the opposite team without having to stand in the batters box themselves.

When the question arises over which league is better, I am always quick to say the NL. Simmons has been saying for years that the AL is better, but I always brush his opinion off as coming from an AL-guy. That being said, we all know that pitchers going from AL to NL will experience an ERA decrease of 1 run simply because the lineups are not as stacked in the AL. But what about a guy who lowers his ERA by 6 runs? I give you Carlos Silva- the man responsible for making me see the light.

Silva remains one of the worst signings in MLB history when the M's signed him for $48 million over 4 years before the 2008 season. In two seasons for the M's Silva went 5-18 with a staggering 6.81 ERA. After an offseason trade to the Cubbies, Silva is already 2-0 with a 0.95 ERA in three starts. We know he won't keep up this pace all season, but seriously...this is the same guy who pitched in Seattle last year. Only difference is the league. Thanks Carlos for ruining my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment