Thursday, April 22, 2010

Instant (Over)Reaction

Bad sports night for me all around - won't even get into the Devils. Instead, I will offer this instant analysis of the Sounders game.
  • Obviously the big story is the downright terrible PK call in extra time. I honestly don't know what to say. It was terrible. You have to start to wonder about this team though. I know they got jobbed tonight, but they should not have been in this position tonight or two weeks ago against Salt Lake. Teams make their own luck and so far Seattle's has been bad.
  • I don't need to state the obvious - a long term injury to Keller would be devastating
  • Roger....I still love you for what you have meant to this franchise, but seriously you HAVE to hit those sitters.
  • Two very nice goals. Nice to see a free kick not hit the wall for once. Is it just me or is Montero a different player without Ljungberg in there
  • Terrible decision by El Presidente. I thought he looked terrible tonight.
  • I swore I heard a Steve Zakuani chant in the first half - that doesn't say much about your home fans
  • David Estrada has potential but is still very young. Too many turnovers.
  • I think I might have seen my bus driver in the stands. Seriously.
We should be 4-0-1 at this point in the season. Right now they seem like a team without an identity. All preseason long we heard about this new European style system that emphasizes quick short passes yet I have not seen it for more than 10 minutes at a time. Instead we see a lot of long, hopeful balls that get thrown back at us. I like the guys on this team, but something needs to change going forward. Of course, my opinion will change once we pick up 3 points up north.

2 comments:

  1. I sound like a broken record at this point, but it seems like in the first game, the Sounders played with short, quick, accurate passes. In the last few games they've gone back to their old long-ball style of play. Without much height in the offensive half, we're not going to win any of those balls. They just haven't been controlling the ball (especially in the middle third of the field) like they need to to create offensive opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. When we do keep the ball on the ground the only strategy seems to be get it to Steve and see if he can beat someone. But that's it. No fluidity and certainly no precision (looking at you, Bulldog). The defense doesn't help out much either - for how solid they are in terms of defending, there outlets are not good.

    I know you have been underwhelmed by Leo and I think I am starting to come around. The few times he does get forward he never seems to have anything of quality to contribute.

    ReplyDelete