Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thursday Night Brain Dump

It's beautiful weather here in Seattle today and I am outside mowing the lawn (well, not right now because I am eating and typing). It is perfect. A lot of things happening around this great country of ours - nothing so seismic that I have to write a whole blog entry so this will have to do.
  • Giants great Lawrence Taylor was arrested today and charged with 3rd degree rape. This is just a sad story and one that I think most Giants fans are not surprised with. LT was an amazing player and one of the first true sports stars I knew growing up. His subsequent downfall after his playing career was an unfortunate one, but news of his sobriety and changed lifestyle was a welcome one. I don't know if he is innocent or not - that obviously will be determined by the legal system, but it is a sad day when one of your sports idols is linked to something like this
  • What's up with Lebron? Has this guy ever played with an injury? If it is as minor as Cleveland is making it out to be, then why does he seem so bothered by it? Cleveland better watch itself - if they lose tonight they could be in a world of hurt. Boston is one of those teams you need to put down early because they will gain their swagger back if given the chance
  • A buddy of mine asked today if I thought Ubaldo Jimenez is the best pitcher in baseball. I said that Lincecum and Halladay are in front of him, but I'd be hard pressed to think of another one. Maybe Sabathia or King Felix, but not too many
  • I am 100% in favor of that kid getting tasered in Philly. We are given an amazing opportunity as fans to be allowed to sit within arms reach of players and coaches when we're at the ballpark. Let's not mess it up. Now, I know that running on the field has been going on for years, but lets face it, the world is different today. Security at ballgames is very light - most places want to look in your bag and that's it. I always wonder if there needs to be more. Someday what appears to be an 'innocent' streaker could be someone who poses a security risk. I know a lot of media members are saying it was a teenager being a teenager - I just wonder if he wasn't a white boy how it would be perceived.
  • While I'm on my soapbox, I'd like to congratulate the Suns for taking a political stand and wearing the Los Suns jerseys in Game 2 the other night. this is not supposed to be a political blog so I won't give my thoughts on it besides saying I am impressed to see a sports team take such a stand.
  • Looks like the Flyers are in crap load of trouble. I love it
  • Sounders - LA this weekend. Man I hope we can get it done. I don't need to give a preview - stopping LA is as simple as stopping Donovan and Buddle (I know he has 9 goals, but Landy's name still needs to be listed first). If El Presidente is up for the job and if LA is unable to handle the 4-3-3 then a good result is possible.
  • Manchester United is playing the MLS All-Stars this July and then are going to Philly to take on the Union. Not sure what to say about that one besides, hope you enjoy the experience and the money, Philly.
  • World Cup getting ever so close....
That's all for now. Back outside I go.

2 comments:

  1. 1. When you mow, what is your style? I like to give myself some room on the turn around, by mowing 2 passes perpendicular to the main direction I will mow in (on both ends of course).

    2. I'm a huge LT fan. I think he was duped into thinking she was of age. Of course, that doesn't mean he's right in hiring a prostitute. So my 3 favorite athletes growing up (Darryl, Doc, and LT) are about as flawed as they come. Nice job by me.

    3. I think Lebron is trying to milk this injury for publicity. He wants to be talked about in the same light as MJ, and coming up big when "hurt" or "sick" was always one of MJ's strong suits.

    4. I never understand why teams only add a "Los" to their name to recognize Latin Americans. For example, take the Suns. Their uniforms don't normally say "The Suns" on them. So why add a "Los"? Secondly, if you're going to do this, why not translate the actual team name? Shouldn't their jerseys just say "Sol" on them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4. good point, but then they would be a wnba team
    2. yeah, ny sports stars in the mid80's definitely flawed. luckily we also had wally backman and sid fernandez to cheer for

    ReplyDelete