Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dream Scenario

To anyone reading this from work, I really tried to work today. I really did. but the honest truth is that I couldn't stop thinking about the game this morning. I mean, damn what an amazing ending. I was watching the game with my wife and daughter and literally fell on the floor after a few of their missed attempts. After each one, my anxiety raised but never to the point where I thought we couldn't get it done. After all, this is Team USA, not the Sounders. They had too many opportunities not to score.

Then it happened all so quickly. An opportunity from Algeria saved by Howard. An amazing distribution to Donovan 40 yards away from the goal. A 4 on 2 break. Donovan pushing tempo. To Altidore. A pass to Dempsey. Save by the keeper. Rebound. Donovan. GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Wait a second. Check the flag. It's not Up. GOOOALLLLLL.

It was amazing. I'm not sure I have ever had this kind of reaction. When the Sounders score, I jump up and down and scream. This was a little different. It was a different yell; one that released all the nervous tension in my body. I made my daughter cry. I walked into the garage to yell some more in order not to further scare her. My fists pumped. I yelled. It was like I scored the goal.

In the car on the way to work I told the wife I was considering moving this up to my list of favorite sports moments. At her urging I took a step back. After all, while this goal was big, the events that are yet to unfold will determine how big this goal is. If we flame out and lose 4-0 to Ghana then a lot of the luster is taken away. If we can ride the momentum and make the Semi's, thus bringing millions of more fans onto the soccer bandwagon, then this goal is legendary. Only time will tell.

As for the knockout round, after Uruguay beat Mexico yesterday I realized that there was the potential for something special if all the blocks fell right. We had to win Group C. Germany had to win Group D. It sounded like a lot to ask for. Yet somehow, they both happened and as a result, we play Ghana with the winner playing the winner of Uruguay-South Korea. No disrespect to any of the other three teams, but this is a thousands times easier road than had we finished second in our group. The other side of the draw features England v Germany and Argentina v Mexico - both games one could dream of in the Semi-finals, not the Round of 16. So the USA has a golden opportunity. When we look at the Semi-Finals to be played on July 6, one team from the following four will be featured: Uruguay, South Korea, Ghana, USA. It is a dream scenario. One that I hope they are ready to grab a hold of.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The goal should be one of your favorite sports moments, and it wont be diminished by any bad performance in the rest of the tournament. What happened today was important in that it was the day the USA finally had a 'World Cup moment', when time stood still and all your hopes and dreams hung in the balance, the line between success and failure blurred and you waited for elation of dejection to occur. Thankfully for this country it was elation, and I haven't ever seen an outpouring of excitement and joy about soccer and national pride like this occur before! People hammering with Facebook with 'GOAL!', packed bars going nuts at 9am in the morning, people cheering and tearing with pride at what a group of sportsmen representing their country achieved. Enjoy the moment, they are some of the best feelings a country can have!

    ReplyDelete